Starting new engine this week lifter question

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just went thru the priming process a couple of weeks ago for my SBC that had been sitting for 21+ years. It took a LONG time of spinning the oil pump before I got oil coming out of the pushrods. It took about 15 minutes before I started to get oil out of the pushrods on the driver's side and another 10 minutes or so before I got oil on the passenger side. I don't think 3 minutes is anywhere near long enough to pump up the lifters, etc. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Junky did you write for Jay or Johnny, either way, the writers guild should have told you as a union writer your forbidden to work without a union contract, now it turns out I am a union writers guild contract negotiator. I would encourage you to send me a retainer and I'll negotiate a new contract for you. I think I could have you in a nice spot on the Saturday morning Cartoon Network, with all the gummy bears you could want as a ryder for your contract. The rate will be based on the LAUGH-O-METER, since that wont go well for you, we will have to have a supplemental provision that pays you based on feeble attempts at comedy.....for Wit your going to do well with the kids, your awesome. I think your going places.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Skipxt4, agreed but keep in mind I was not spinning the rear cam bearing, I was hooked directly to the oil pump shaft only..Skip's concern here,and believe me it's happened ,is that the rear cam bearing is either the wrong one,or it's incorrectly installed.If either is the case,the engine will not oil one side of the engine.This is one of the areas that is specific W engine only.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don/Skipxt4...... I ordered that tool this morning I should see it wednesday, that will be the answer then, so excuse me for the question but, when only half of the engine oils, is that like bottom half/top half , or is it a side to side thing, keep in mind I never built this motor, it was built by some folks in Illinois, but they swear they are really good, time will tell, I bought it rebuilt already, but I prefer to be involved during the build, we will see.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don/Skipxt4...... I ordered that tool this morning I should see it wednesday, that will be the answer then, so excuse me for the question but, when only half of the engine oils, is that like bottom half/top half , or is it a side to side thing, keep in mind I never built this motor, it was built by some folks in Illinois, but they swear they are really good, time will tell, I bought it rebuilt already, but I prefer to be involved during the build, we will see.
I believe that it's primarily a lifter gallery that doesn't oil,but on an engine with hydraulic lifters,that'd be a real problem,not to mention,lack of oiling to the rest of the valvetrain.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That would really suck to have to tear it apart, hoping for the best with the new oiler tool from Show Cars, I need to get it fired up and get it put in the car, as they are starting to reassemble the body panels this week, procrastination/busy schedule........ time got away from me.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Junky, thats the kind of details I was looking for, with your help I smell success.

DonSSDD, I tried priming last night with my cordless Milwaukee but never seen oil on the top end (valve covers off), it seemed tight after a bit, like it was meeting resistance, I should point out I was standing at the rear of the engine and facing the front spinning it clockwise, I am using a store bought priming tool, instead of a cut distributor shaft, so I do not know if that can get oil clear up there I do not see any holes in the shaft to oil anything other than the lower portion of the motor. I probably spun the shaft for a good 3 minutes? I need to get rid of this electrical oil pressure gauge and go pick up a mechanical gauge for sure.

Heck I'm a ways from Iowa and I smell the success all the way over here in Ohio. And you just can't beat sawdust either its Natures Pepto Bismal.

Mark

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Junky, I understood everything you said. But, I do have a question: that 4 MPH breeze that you mentioned, does it matter what direction it comes from?? And, if it's more or less, or perhaps changes velocity during startup, should one stop?? LOL.

On a more serious note, when I went to prime my 348/434 engine, I couldn't get oil up to one side of the pushrods. And, it appeared that a certain amount of oil was coming up and out of the distributor shaft. I had been using a new priming tool for bbc/sbc. Took the tool to my machinist and told him of my problem. He said the round collar on the shaft was too small and he could make a slightly larger one which he did. Tried the new one which worked perfectly. So, one size does not fit all, at least in my experience. It's good to know that you can buy the proper priming tool which will work. I don't think it was available when I put my engine together, Carmine.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have not done a W engine (yet), but on an SBC the priming tool needs to have a bushing in order to pump up the passenger side. The good priming tools will say that they will do both sides, 'cuz they know it's an issue. I believe it relates to controlling the flows thru the oil passages in the block.