Starting new engine this week lifter question

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
427 john, you have been spot on with your stuff/comments, what goes in my ears sometimes get confused before it clicks, lol

Junky, I agree, its vague to say the least, but I am glad you are being on your best behavior, I dont want to have to get out the hurt feelings report, lol

But to answer your question Headman headers, and their partners build that kit and send it out to everyone, from my research.

Junky

Well Known Member
I can't wait till my 8 hours are up, and I can answer that fellow from corn country (Iowa, for those that don't know what the raise in Iowa... corn and dumb as rocks kids).. LOL...

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am so glad we have schools and a education system, we can form sentences and communicate in a way others can understand, lol
and manners and politeness and kindness, otherwise we would just come across as a hillbilly hick, who's rage and anger would allow the world to see our problems arise from hick inbreeding. I feel as though we are born bare ass naked and smacked on the ass at birth, everything from there, is a learned skill set...........some of us still feel like we know it all and there is no room to learn, and yet some of us like the theory of munchausen's disease, where we invite the victim in and then abuse them, and then render aid, to feel superior.

Clint

Well Known Member
I am so glad we have schools and a education system, we can form sentences and communicate in a way others can understand, lol
and manners and politeness and kindness, otherwise we would just come across as a hillbilly hick, who's rage and anger would allow the world to see our problems arise from hick inbreeding. I feel as though we are born bare ass naked and smacked on the ass at birth, everything from there, is a learned skill set...........some of us still feel like we know it all and there is no room to learn, and yet some of us like the theory of munchausen's disease, where we invite the victim in and then abuse them, and then render aid, to feel superior.
There are quite a few hillbillies on here myself included.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I am a hillbilly myself trust and believe, I am as inbred as they come but, I dont bully people.
In fact I hate bullies, with a passion. I have a 70 foot long by 7 foot tall stone wall at my house, I built it 3 times, lots of labor, but, my point is I did not know how to do it correct the first two times, and I was not satisfied with how it turned out, so I redid it a third time, my labor, my sweat and my time, point is I will do something as many times as I need to until it seems right to me, dont give two shits about what anyone else thinks.

Junky

Well Known Member
How wide is that wall? That's a lot of rocks, no matter what... Now, lets not go picking on the hillbillies, because those are the guys that made the moonshine, and then soup'd up the cars to deliver the product. They could out drive and maneuver the lawman at every turn. If it were not for those fellows, there would be no NASCAR today.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, I am a hillbilly myself trust and believe, I am as inbred as they come but, I dont bully people.
In fact I hate bullies, with a passion. I have a 70 foot long by 7 foot tall stone wall at my house, I built it 3 times, lots of labor, but, my point is I did not know how to do it correct the first two times, and I was not satisfied with how it turned out, so I redid it a third time, my labor, my sweat and my time, point is I will do something as many times as I need to until it seems right to me, dont give two shits about what anyone else thinks.
Those illegal's will climb that wall!!!:laugh4

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Damn straight we grow corn. This year we are getting 2 crops. So friggin wet that the corn is germinating in the field on the stalk. Farmers are buying tracks and rear wheel assists for the combines. I think the tracks are 60k.

Also, without Iowa corn how would Bob get along without ethanol? You don't have to thank me Bob.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I got the report back from the machine shop today, not so good, but could have been worse. I need to make some decisions and could use some feedback on the situation.

Crank had been turned .10/.10 on mains and journals, before the damage, so those are going to have to go .20/.20, new bearings rods and mains.
The crank has outward nicks that will go away when ground but will leave some recessed scratches that will be inward, not effecting the new bearings.

John has been doing machine work at his shop about 60 years, very seasoned, but not what I would call 409 guru, but a dam good machinist.

Keep that crank or buy a new one, of course they are big money, only $175 to turn it.

Of The eight pistons 2 of them are gouged pretty good that was done during the install he said, he can clean them up so they dont drag or scratch the walls of the cylinder going back in, he said the bottoms of the cylinder cast is very rough and that is what caused that, so he is going to file clean and smooth that out, I went and looked at it and felt it and there is definitely some outward jaggedness to the bottom of the cylinder.

So do I roll with that or can I buy two mismatched pistons that are .30 already, there are a few loose singles on Ebay, and roll with that or do they all need to be matched brand build, or do I just let him clean those up and roll with those?

He showed me a lot of metal debris when he blew through the journals while I was there and slivers of metal came flying out, he said that is what took out the rear bearing and the # 8 bearing, for sure a original build issue, I do not care who did what wrong before but going back together I want it right, he said with the debris shavings left in the journals, that got bound in the bearings.

I want to go with the Cam Don recommended from Show Cars but they are out of stock, Bruce does have the 409/409 cam in stock with new springs, would that work? My new cam already in the motor is a 417190 but no one has been able to identify what it is, so I am guessing its a stock cam.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No I would not use that 409/409 replica.For one thing,it's a solid flat tappet cam,for another old outdated design.If the 0950 isn't available,go with Howards Cams pn cl-131101-12 for the cam and lifter set.As to the pistons,2 cast pistons from another set won't be a problem,turn your existing crank,and have the rotating assembly balanced.