Starting small fabrication business (I think)

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, the title sounds a bit more than what I'm thinking. :D I'm going to test the waters with fabricating small items to sell online. (ebay mostly)

If anything actually sells, it will encourage me to go on. If not, oh well.

First up are these pair of polished aluminum diamond plate door panels I made up today that fit 76-86 CJ-7 and 87-95 YJ Wrangler with full doors. Not sure how popular diamond plate is these days but I suppose someone might like them. Research shows they aren't cheap! The highest I found at $188.07 plus ship, next lower at $148.99 plus $30 to ship! (no way it should be that much to ship!) The cheapest is someone selling for $109 and free shipping (price is for a limited time) I found none on ebay at the moment.

I was thinking maybe $99 plus shipping but still thinking about it. BTW, last pic I found on the net of how these look installed on a Jeep.

A smaller item is this 3 hole under dash gauge panel. Searching shows not many of this style around and sell about $15 for a 3 hole and $10 for a 2 hole. I wonder if anyone would want a 4 holer? :D

My main plan is going to be small things for the garage/workshop like grinder racks, air tool racks, hammer racks, screwdriver racks, peg board items, paper towel holders, etc. Other items might be hard to find odd little brackets and things for cars/trucks. (odd ball things like inner door handle rods)

Am I crazy? Not sure. The old car parts business is drying up and it's getting so hard to find anything to sell around here. Not many cars coming into the junkyards for a long while now. So I'm looking for a new gig. :)

DSCN8199.jpg DSCN8201.jpg DSCN8204.jpg DSCN8205.jpg Img_0402.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You sure they wont be made in China? Bob will be successful, cause he is just that kinda guy, become overwhelmed by the demand, hire a few people, realize he needs more, however the cost of the product will not support the price needed to meet overhead, he will then be approached by someone telling him he can get the "exact thing made in China to his specifications " for lot less. First Bob will fight it holding onto the made in America principle, then, he will rationalize it thinking I can control quality. Next thing you know, Bob's Chinese made in America parts available to you and me. And that is just me kidding around. Bob actually has his own ideas and I am sure he will do well, if he would make things for classic chevy's with 409's and not jeeps that is :D

bobs409

Administrator
Well, guess I should mention I have other materials available besides diamond plate. :D Going to do some brushed aluminum door panels with some schnazzy bead rolling. Might do those for 67-72 Chevy & GMC trucks. I'm very blessed to be a few miles from an AWESOME metal supplier! They have everything except gold bars and prices are great!

I'm full of idea's. (and you thought it was something else) :p

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Those jeep door panels look pretty darn good. I priced a set for my TJ jeep and they were very costly. I think your on to something there Bob !!
Those should sell good at that price. :good
Ken

bobs409

Administrator
Today's venture is a slip on 5 hole hammer rack for your tool box. (brought to you by Turtle Wax)

DSCN8210.jpg DSCN8209.jpg DSCN8208.jpg DSCN8207.jpg DSCN8206.jpg DSCN8211.jpg

The big assed Turtle wax sticker is one I bought in the late 70's-early 80's. I think I mailed in $1.00 for it. It's probably about 30+ inches long. I managed to peel it off an old door that it was stuck to all these years!!! Will go in my new garage now. :D Anyone else have one of these??

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I'm looking for a new gig. :)

View attachment 55887 View attachment 55888 View attachment 55889 View attachment 55890 View attachment 55891[/QUOTE]
I know a little about this as i retired about 5 years ago and thought i would buy and sell a few square body trucks,didn't take me long to find out at least in my area there were almost no junkyard trucks to get parts from.My daily driver is a square body and i have my 63 impalas so any parts i need other than basic parts house stuff are ebay or craigslist,not much room for profit so i am also looking for a new source of income.

bobs409

Administrator
Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't think the gauges will set flush when installed into the panel.

You are correct. Thought it would look ok but not really after trying one. I will ease all the diamonds that touch the bezel so it sits flat. Noticed something on gauges today too. There is a small raised area at the bottom I guess to locate it in the hole. Not sure if the new ones have it but the 2 old ones I have do. Had to file a little cut away at the bottom of each hole. Never noticed those before...

bobs409

Administrator
Still making some prototypes. :D Today I present a larger hammer rack for the lower tool chest. (the one with the 7 holes) I also made one with no holes so the buyer can drill their own as needed so could be used for something other than hammers. These slip over the edge just like the smaller one above.

Guess I should mention that these holes were not drilled but hydraulically punched out! I got one of those handy dandy tools from H.F. and it's sooo cool! Of course, there are only 5 sizes so things like the gauge panel and upcoming spray paint can rack have to be drilled out with hole saws.

And lastly, my Turtle Wax racer has joined the other stickers on my new sticker wall. (actually back of my garage door) :D

DSCN8214.jpg DSCN8213.jpg DSCN8219.jpg DSCN8221.jpg DSCN8217.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Today I did up some door lock pull rods and inner door handle rods that fit 67-72 Chevy & GMC trucks. As far as I know, no one is reproducing these. Not really a part in demand but someone might be needing them. Testing the waters...

Would love to find a source for the clips that go on these. (used on carb linkages sometimes) Would be nice to get a bulk price. :D

DSCN8232x.jpg DSCN8234x.jpg