Steel Dragon Mag Drill (MD-40)

bobs409

Administrator
mag.jpg

Brand: Steel Dragon Tools
MPN: SDT-MD40-AC107SM
UPC: 0819891023766

Now that I've gotten to use this some, I thought a review would be a good idea. I have to say, I like it! No regrets. Today I drilled (15) 5/8" holes thru 1/4" of steel and it's FAST! Magnet and motor are both strong!

These mag drills come in anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars! I'm just a hobbyist so I kept myself to the lower end. This one cost me $429.99 w/free shipping on ebay. It came with an awesome set of cutters as shown which helped me decide on this one.

Pro's:
A decent price for a mag drill. (most do not come with cutters like this one did)
Adjustable gibs (some cheap-o's might not have this feature)
Strong magnet
Powerful motor
No run out, cuts true
Cutters work fantastic!
Shipped in a wooden crate

Con's:
A little less RPM's would be better especially for large cutters
No instruction manual
Gibs needed some adjustment before I could use it, they were set too tight. (not a big deal but worth mentioning)
Lubrication system is a joke! Many of these have the same gravity type unit and they are junk. Leaks at adjustment knob and impossible to set quickly at a good flow rate to be useful. (some high end drills might use a pressurized unit but I have no experience on them) I just use spray on cutting oil. It's a lot easier!

Would I buy it again? YES!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Pictures of the holes coming soon. It's a new secret project that I'm working on. 15 more holes today if my cold will allow... :sick2

Not so sure we want to see pictures of sore holes with your cold Bob:D

Steve

bobs409

Administrator
That project is slowly coming to a close, worked a bunch on it yesterday. Some builds just seem to take f-o-r-e-v-er! It's a good one though, will post soon.

P.S. cold is gone but what a bastard that was! Took about 8 days to get rid of it. :bang