Steering Arms - Looking for options

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know I have a problem with some mismatched parts on my '59 El Camino.
Here is a recap:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/spindle-control-arm-problem.27473/

My builder isn't comfortable making a modification to the existing arms. One of the suggestions was to use the steering arms that low riders use, but I can't find much in the way of stock replacements, much less anything specific for low riders.

One possible solution might be steering arms from a 64 full size Impala:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-6472spa/applications/

However, I don't know if the bolt spacing is correct.

I guess what I'm looking for are other ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Why is he not comfortable modifying the arms? They are forged steel, so they will be safe to weld. Using something from another application will open up additional cans of worms in regards to the steering geometry (bump steer, incorrect Ackermann, etc).

I don't think you'll find much from the lowrider crowd. I suspect most of them are using stock steering arms, or are fabricating new ones if they don't like the stock look. A lot of them switch to late model B-Body spindles and modify their control arms for the different ball joints, which eliminates the issue completely but won't likely work in your case (and opens up potential geometry issues). In the case of both of the latter, your builder should have the same concerns as he would with modifying your stock steering arms.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I just found the best option. I talked with my builder and he suggested shaving 80 - 100 thousandth or less off the back side of the steering arms and if needed, shaving the back of the spindle to clear the steering arm. This way, nothing is structurely compromised. What he did that I hadn't done was place the steering arm in place after removing the bolts. This let the steering arm slide in nice and tight. The only other modification needed will be to shorten on of the bolts so it clears the badly placed grease zerk.

Thanks Mike for the input. My builder just had safety on his mind but after showing him the modified steering arm, he said he'd be ok with those mods. But now, I don't think welding or cutting will be needed.

Once this is done, I'm definitely posting the pictures!