Steering issues

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The 62' Impala has newer front springs...newer front shocks...new steering box...newer heavy duty sway bar. The car has a tendancy to wander slightly every once in awhile which doesn't migrate to the steering wheel. Smooth level road...no problem. Anything else...the car won't aim straight and is a bit of a challenge to drive. So..any thoughts?

RCE1962

Ron

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you running the original type bias ply type tires or radial ply tires?If it's the later,you most likely have alignment issues such as not enough positive caster and may need additional parts to fix the car.

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Paul. Not sure about the new steering box adjustment. I guess I just assumed that it was when it was installed. I will ask the fella who did the work. I had the older steering box adjusted but didn't help...and was told that it was most likely the cause...but it wasn't.

Don. They are bias ply tires. I've also had radials at one point as well and had this issue. The scenario of not enough positive caster may be something to look at. Which replacement parts would you suggest?

Thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There are better,more experienced people here than me that can provide insight to this issue,but the offset upper control arm shafts could be a good place to start.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What steering box did you install? If you changed the angle of the drag link the geometry will be off.... Do this raise the front of car with a floor jack under engine cradle.watch the toe of both wheels , does it change it so you can see just by looking.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
This may be a "Long Shot", but check out the rear Panhard Bar, for bad rubber bushings. Also, make sure it's not bent.:doh My Chevy, slid off the floor jack one day, when I was replacing the shocks, and I never gave it a thought, until I drove it, later on.:dunnoThe car felt like I was driving on Ice. :drop

Last edited: