Steering shaft

63409impala

Well Known Member
As the title states, I'm trying to come up with a steering shaft with universals at both ends. Has anyone done this with the factory steering box? My car has factory tilt steering if that makes any difference. Thank you!!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The problem with this, is the shaft at the end of the shaft is round with a hole for the cross pin for the factory pivot joint.
That would have to be machined for a double D to fit a u joint.

63409impala

Well Known Member
Hmmm. My steering column has splines on the end of it and there is a 2 bolt flange on it with a pinch bolt. Let me see if I can locate a picture

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That looks different than a 62.
If that is the case, you can remove that part measure the diameter and count the splines and do the same at the steering box, you should be able to get some u joints to fit the spline shafts to a double D.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I believe the lower shaft is tilt wheel specific to 63-64 tilt wheels. These tilt wheels are very sought after and seem to get higher every year. Please don’t ruin it.

Fuzz

MAGA

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Tilt columns have different steering shafts at both ends and they are tilt column only parts.
I have some pictures somewhere of the 63 tilt column that I have.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I believe the lower shaft is tilt wheel specific to 63-64 tilt wheels. These tilt wheels are very sought after and seem to get higher every year. Please don’t ruin it.

Fuzz

MAGA
I'm not looking to ruin the column at all. Just simply looking to do a universal joint on the column and one on the steering box. Shouldn't be all that hard to do with what's offered now

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have the new shaft(s) and swivels -may be a trade and ?
they fit on my factory steering box and the factory steering column
PM sent

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Borgenson also has D ends for columns also I used one on my 79 Camaro. Also they have a collapsible.

Source for a tilt column for a 64? Any of the aftermarkets bolt ins?