Steering wheel

Mr harold knight

Has any body build a smaller steering wheel that looks like a stock 1962 Impala steering wheel ? Been trying to lose a few pound but having no luck.. Need to keep it stock looking but might have to put in a till steering .

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have pictures and a drawing of some seat extender flat plates (four of them) that a friend made for his 63 impala SS drivers bucket seat. The plates were around 1 & 1/2” by 3 or 4 inches.
They moved the drivers bucket seat back “at least 2 inches” without modifying the floor brackets or the seat brackets.
The plates used flat head screws to mount them to the seat brackets on the bucket seat. These plates would work on bench seats.
I can post pictures and dimensions of the plates when I return to home to Iowa.
Paul

bobs409

Administrator
Harold might have to add 2 inches onto his legs then. :teehee I know I would, with my 63 in order to reach the pedals comfortably, the steering wheel is right up close and personal! Always felt odd to me sitting behind the wheel. I don't have that with any other car, even my 66 Impala.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Harold might have to add 2 inches onto his legs then. :teehee I know I would, with my 63 in order to reach the pedals comfortably, the steering wheel is right up close and personal! Always felt odd to me sitting behind the wheel. I don't have that with any other car, even my 66 Impala.
You actually drove your 63 Bob? Let's see pictures.:)

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
In 2000 Deb won a trip to Orlando and one of the prizes was a session at the Richard Petty driving experience. I got in the car and the guy adjust the seat until you can push the clutch to the floor.When I did, the steering wheel hit my belly, which was somewhat smaller than now. he said "shit" took the steering wheel off and left me wondering how I was going to drive with no wheel. He came back in a few seconds with a smaller wheel and all was good. I didn't win Daytona that year.