Stereo speaker set-up

58impala

Well Known Member
I'm planning to install a modern stereo in my '58 Impala using a single modern 6 1/2 speaker in the front and rear using the original locations. I'm using a Pioneer CD/receiver which is capable of a four speaker set-up.........left & right for the front and left & right for the rear. I plan to connect the front speaker to the left channel and the rear speaker to the right channel and use the balance control for best sound. Now I realize this will not provide optimum stereo quality, but my goal is to be able to play CD's and FM radio. Some of you have done this before so I'm hoping you'll chime in with your thoughts on this plan. Thanks

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The manual with that unit has a good diagram of the wiring hookup for a two speaker system. I wouldn't use the original car's speaker wiring for the best stereo sound but it will work if the grounds are ok. If you don't have the diagram send me a PM and I will draw it out with the color wires out of your unit

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did that years ago in my 65 Impala SS !!

Sounded great and looked stock,,

I would not ,, or I change that ,,

DO NOT use the stock speaker wires !!

The newer stereos need to have a seperate ground wire to each speaker,,

,,dq

58impala

Well Known Member
I wasn't aware that GM only used one speaker wire until I removed the original speaker. Probably one of the reasons the old radios were so noisy. I plan to run two conductor speaker wire for the new speakers. The new Pioneer unit is mounted just below the heater controls under the dash. I fabricated a mechanism that allows the unit to swing up under the dash out of sight when desired to keep the stock appearance, and swing down and forward when in use. The mechanish locks in the up and down position. The unit is easily removed from the mechanism if it becomes necessary. I wish I had taken a picture before installing it in the dash and I would post it.............kind of a pain now that it's installed.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wasn't aware that GM only used one speaker wire until I removed the original speaker. Probably one of the reasons the old radios were so noisy. I plan to run two conductor speaker wire for the new speakers. The new Pioneer unit is mounted just below the heater controls under the dash. I fabricated a mechanism that allows the unit to swing up under the dash out of sight when desired to keep the stock appearance, and swing down and forward when in use. The mechanish locks in the up and down position. The unit is easily removed from the mechanism if it becomes necessary. I wish I had taken a picture before installing it in the dash and I would post it.............kind of a pain now that it's installed.

:takethat You Bad:takethat

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Where stereo

Hi Jim Just curious but where are you installing the stereo?
I put a CD / Radio in my glove box and put the orig am radio (Face only) back in the radio space. I got a repro tissue dispenser for under the dash cause I've heard it's a good place to HIDE the stereo but I've had the car about 10 or 12 yrs and finally gave in to my love of music and mounted 2 speakers in the rear and 1 in each door, but I'm going to cover the rear speakers with material so that I can still hear clearly but those swines won't know I have a stereo to steal. But I'm going to remount the orig single speaker grill, you know the one with the music note it looks so cool. But hats off for keeping it stock looking!:cheers I caved in :nono1: but it sounds good.
John

58impala

Well Known Member
Hi Jim Just curious but where are you installing the stereo?
I put a CD / Radio in my glove box and put the orig am radio (Face only) back in the radio space. I got a repro tissue dispenser for under the dash cause I've heard it's a good place to HIDE the stereo but I've had the car about 10 or 12 yrs and finally gave in to my love of music and mounted 2 speakers in the rear and 1 in each door, but I'm going to cover the rear speakers with material so that I can still hear clearly but those swines won't know I have a stereo to steal. But I'm going to remount the orig single speaker grill, you know the one with the music note it looks so cool. But hats off for keeping it stock looking!:cheers I caved in :nono1: but it sounds good.
John

58 Guy,
Really the only place where there's room for the unit to swing up under the dash an still be driver accessible is just under the heater controls. It's almost a perfect fit between the under dash lip and the heater plenum on the firewall. The heater control cables are pushed up slightly by the stereo bracket but not enough to put them in a bind. When the stereo is in the "locked down" or visible position, the top of the unit clears the bottom of the dash about 1/2" and protudes forward from the lip of the dash about 4". I'm using Infinity 62.7i Kappa's 6.5" round speakers front and rear. The 6.5 fits in the original dash location but offset to the passenger side due to clearance issues with a dash support and the speaker magnet. Make an adapter plate and front mount the speaker to the plate. The rear speaker also uses an adapter plate for original mounting.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How about a CustomAuto sound unit, fits in orig dash. Use their kick panel speakers up front. No permanent modifications needed, they'll bolt in. That alone would give you pretty good sound. If you don't mind adding 6x9's to the rear deck that will add some real power to your music.

58impala

Well Known Member
Here's an update on the stereo installation. First off, I knew going in that this two speaker set-up would not sound as good as the normal two in the front and two in the rear, but...............I was pleasantly surprised, it sounds better than I expected. I used front channel only out of the receiver, the rear speaker out-puts are not used. The left channel is the front speaker and the right is the rear. Still playing with the balance, EQ and other settings, but I'm a happy camper. I would recommend this set-up for anyone wishing to keep their original interior intact.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have to apologise I promised to get you the wire colors for a two speaker system just like you finished. I forgot:doh :doh :doh Anyway glad you got it to work and the method you used is correct. Must of the newer aftermarket stereos use the same color code system for the hookup wiring. Sort of like the marine industry does and makes it easier for us:D
Robert

blumun53

Well Known Member
58 Impala, just so happens, in my 58, I tried to do the front/rear speaker thing using the balance control, and it sucked. A lot. What I did was as follows: mounted the stereo in the glove box with a bracket my buddy made, and here's the kicker...I mounted 2 Pioneer 3" speakers in the original front speaker's place using a manufactured bracket to keep them in place. They were mounted in a left upper-to right lower situation, so the split could still be distiguished to me, the driver. Who cares if it sounded good to anyone else? Right? Since these speakers were high quality, they sounded terrific. Nowadays, the small speakers are even better, they carry bass and treble very well, so you might consider this as an option. :cool:
P.S. I also did the same thing in my 60 Impala. Same results, except I mounted the stereo under the driver's seat. The glove box was better.

crokr

Custom Auto Sounds also makes a single speaker that has right and left stero in one speaker that will fit your car. They also sell a radio that will fit your car that is ready for an IPod mp3 player.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The solid lifter cam is music to my ears...:roll :roll :roll :takethat

I still like the sound of the solid lifter cam. If I want to listen to the stereo I hope in my pickup. Its kind of like riding my Harley. If I wanted to listen to the stereo I would have bought a Honda.... :doh... Oops, sorry Bob I know we are not suppose to use profanity on this site....:bang :takethat

No offense guys. Just like to listen to my S:cussT when I'm knocken off the miles...:clap