Stock 3x2 intake manifold issues.

John Garrido

Supporting Member 2
I'm told the 3x2 barrel intake manifold for a 348 will bolt on to new Edelbrock heads. There is no mention of this on the Edlebrock website. Anyone have first hand knowledge either way?

John Garrido

Supporting Member 2
Thanks. I ordered the heads today, after struggling with a broken rocker stud for weeks I finally coughed up for the Eddies.
1960 Bel Air 2 door post. 348 Tripower w/ 3 on the tree.
Hope to post photos soon.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I hate to be a buzz kill here but the 60815 head is a large port head .The tri power manifold is a small port part.The question becomes,how is that supposed to work?:dunno
When I looked at the Eddie site it said the 60815 head was the Lopo head? Please someone put the correct number up before it’s to late!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
As far as I can tell from reading the stats posted on their site,Edelbrock heads are only made as 690 and 583 replacements.They make no small port replacement heads.They don't even list the 2-4 bbl.intakes for the small port heads anymore:(.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
As far as I can tell from reading the stats posted on their site,Edelbrock heads are only made as 690 and 583 replacements.They make no small port replacement heads.They don't even list the 2-4 bbl.intakes for the small port heads anymore:(.
I Think I must have read from one of the older sites that listed the small port intakes and didn’t read it close enough. Again my bad. I’m glad we have fact checkers like Don on the job.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You guys are doing a great job of cross-checking each other, I mean that. I was pretty sure Eddy made a small-port head at one time, but I wasn't interested in it so I just blew it off and I would never have caught that...

So for John, maybe the best we can do is scare up a nice set of 333 or 1147/ 817 heads that would be more or less ready to go for him? Although I know the feeling about investing money in old iron stuff sometimes. Or...maybe that iron 3x2 could be made to work by adding to the top of the port? Seems like I saw that done somewhere?

Anyway, this is a great group that always bands together to help people out. Just sayin'

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom K. has[or had] a set of 1173's that would work for John and might even be date correct for his application.Even with shipping and rebuilding[possibly needs guides],they'd be a lot cheaper than a set of the Eddys would.

John Garrido

Supporting Member 2
So this is possibly the dumb question of the day.......can the fuel/air mix flow thru the small port manifold into the larger ports at the head and still work (but not the other way around)? Possibly not because of the larger intake valve size? Seems like they would still line up.....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The port mis-match is too great John.Your manifold will bolt down except for the top holes,but it would take some pretty heavy work to get enlarged enough to ever seal either air and or oil leaks .

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom K. has[or had] a set of 1173's that would work for John and might even be date correct for his application.Even with shipping and rebuilding[possibly needs guides],they'd be a lot cheaper than a set of the Eddys would.
I'm pretty sure the 1173's are small ports, just interrim version of dual spring solid lifter heads.