Stock class rules in 1963?

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
In stock class racing back in 1963, on lets say a 300HP 327 Biscayne, which in my understanding would have been a D stock car, what was allowed as far as wheels, and induction?
I see in quite a few old pictures chrome steel wheels, and the rear of the hood shimmed up.
Was headlight ram air allowed on a stock class car, or was that more of a Super Stock/AFX/Modified Production thing?
This 63 drag car I'm building, I want to try to make as period correct looking as possible. Yes I know an 8.5" 10 bolt rear doesn't look stock, nor will a TH350 be stock, but the goal is to have a car that looks "right" from the stands, or to the casual observer walking by it in the pits/staging lanes.
I picked up these NOS Stewart Warner gauges and gauge holder, and I have an old Air Guide Tach that I'm going to use on the inside.
Trying to pick a period correct wheel and tire combo. Thinking old style torque thrusts up front with tall skinny reproduction ribbed bias ply tires, possibly white wall, and in the rear some chrome reverse steel with blackwall pie crust cheater slicks, as long as this stuff "fits" into the period correct look I'm after.

Attachments

• 20181126_103517.jpg
    20181126_103517.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 32

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
How about wheels?

Maybe I need to rethink this, and shoot for more of a mid 60's modified production car?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Contact Jim Sullivan here.I think that that would be the best cold air induction.The next trick would be getting him to make one for the single 4bbl. set up.:poke:crazy

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I would be happy just to be able to get the rubber boot and the large snorkel to retro fit it onto another breather housing.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I would be happy just to be able to get the rubber boot and the large snorkel to retro fit it onto another breather housing.
Here is something you might consider, this is the 62 that I sold to Robert Street. For GoodGuys I thought I would try something other than stock so I got another hood, opened it up and put a Ford SD scoop on it, they fit perfect on a 62 hood. I then obtained the rubber for an LS-6 70 Chevelle to seal between the breather and the bottom of the hood, turn the air filter upside down and you have a half inch opening the full diameter of the breather for fresh air directly into the carbDSC_5726.JPGDSC_5760.JPGDSC_5772.JPG

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In 1963 NHRA tech inspectors carried an NHRA rule book and a N.A.D.A. book. The N.A.D.A. book was used to look up shipping weight of the car being classified and the rule book had the horse power to weight break downs for the different classes. See image below (It's a 1966 rule book , I couldn't find my 63 book).

27072239_10214425357844892_1579481198983997232_n.jpg

Checking the shipping weigh of a 63 Biscayne with a V8 was advertised at 3370 lbs. divided by 300 H.P. would have had a weight break of 11.23 lbs/H.P. putting it in the heavy end of D/Stock. However a 63 Impala with a shipping weight of 3400 lbs. would factor in at 11.33 or on the light end of E/Stock.

Wheels - Stock steel wheels were run by many guys, the rule book required the hub caps be removed. Mag wheels and chrome steel wheels or any after market wheels were accepted. ( You may want to look for period pictures to get an idea of the wheels run then since many of the current styles are not acceptable.) Check this tread on the H.A.M.B. for wheels on stockers: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nhra-junior-stock.201085/

Induction - Since the class is Stock and Chevrolet only offered carburetors on full size cars the only induction allowed would have been the Carter AFB, I think it was a 3461. Since I was a Chevrolet guy I never questioned guys with Chevys that changed the carb as long as it was still an AFB.

Hood - I never questioned the hood being raised in the rear after questioning the inspector who trained me and he said it was done to help cool the engine and didn't improve performance ( I always thought an over heated engine didn't perform to well but what the heck! I was only 17 at the time, what did I know! :roll). Scoops of any type would not have been allowed in Jr. stock classes unless the car came from the factory equipped that way. I don't remember head lights being removed for better breathing in the lower stock classes in 63 but that may have come along shortly after that time period. Maybe someone with a better memory can chime in on that.

Last edited:

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
In 1963 NHRA tech inspectors carried an NHRA rule book and a N.A.D.A. book. The N.A.D.A. book was used to look up shipping weight of the car being classified and the rule book had the horse power to weight break downs for the different classes. See image below (It's a 1966 rule book , I couldn't find my 63 book).

27072239_10214425357844892_1579481198983997232_n.jpg

Checking the shipping weigh of a 63 Biscayne with a V8 was advertised at 3370 lbs. divided by 300 H.P. would have had a weight break of 11.23 lbs/H.P. putting it in the heavy end of D/Stock. However a 63 Impala with a shipping weight of 3400 lbs. would factor in at 11.33 or on the light end of E/Stock.

Wheels - Stock steel wheels were run by many guys, the rule book required the hub caps be removed. Mag wheels and chrome steel wheels or any after market wheels were accepted. ( You may want to look for period pictures to get an idea of the wheels run then since many of the current styles are not acceptable.) Check this tread on the H.A.M.B. for wheels on stockers: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nhra-junior-stock.201085/

Induction - Since the class is Stock and Chevrolet only offered carburetors on full size cars the only induction allowed would have been the Carter AFB, I think it was a 3461. Since I was a Chevrolet guy I never questioned guys with Chevys that changed the carb as long as it was still an AFB.

Hood - I never questioned the hood being raised in the rear after questioning the inspector who trained me and he said it was done to help cool the engine and didn't improve performance ( I always thought an over heated engine didn't perform to well but what the heck! I was only 17 at the time, what did I know! :roll). Scoops of any type would not have been allowed in Jr. stock classes unless the car came from the factory equipped that way. I don't remember head lights being removed for better breathing in the lower stock classes in 63 but that may have come along shortly after that time period. Maybe someone with a better memory can chime in on that.
Great info! Thank you.

George Klass

Well Known Member
Chrome plated wheels were fine, but mag wheels were not permitted in any of the 1963 Stock or S/S classes at NHRA National Events (they were permitted in F/X only). As far as jacking the hood up in the back, that was also not permitted at NHRA National Events in 1963 (or ever if I remember correctly, and it WAS an advantage). And finally, any hood scoop used in 1962 or later had to be part of the car when it was delivered from the factory. Aftermarket hood scoops were not permitted, even in the F/X class.

You have to remember, the NHRA Rulebook and what was allowed and what wasn't in the Stock or Super Stock classes, was only used at NHRA National Events. Local tracks, even NHRA sanctioned tracks, could do whatever they wanted.

George Klass

Well Known Member
I have all the NHRA Rulebooks from 1958 through 1965, however, I do not have a scanner so I can't copy the entire book. On the other hand, if someone wants to know something specific, I can post it (you better alert me via email, geoklass@yahoo.com).

Under WHEELS in the 1963 Rulebook (Stock Class Requirements), it sates: "Any wheel/tire combinations may be used only if they fit in the original wheel-wells. Minimum wheel diameter, 14 inches, unless otherwise originally factory equipped. Mag wheels permitted in F/X and Sports Car classes only."