STREET ROD NATIONALS

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes i plan on going saturday.I have not been in about 4 years but it was a huge event at that time.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Heading out to the Nationals right now hope to take a lot of pics anybody going give me a call 270-392-7865

Topstrap

Well Known Member
We were there Thurs, Fri and Sat. Got to see a lot of early 60's Chevy's. Got lots of pics and will try to get them uploaded. Met the fella parked along the road with the 409 64 Impala. Said he also has a few 62 409 cars and also either owns or did own the Zintmaster (maybe not correct spelling) lightweight drag car. Nice fells.

Got into a disagreement with the fella selling the 62 409 valve covers in the back row. Decent price and good shape but didn't have drippers. He said no 62 version had drippers, I always thought the 409hp had drippers so I offered a bit less but no deal. We went back and forth awhile with me saying they did and him saying they didn't I even stopped back on Sat on the way out but he still said I was wrong. I spent a couple of hours on the Internet at the room looking it up and had even asked the guy with the 64 409 car and he agreed that they had them Oh well, I'll find a set sooner or later.

Got to talk to a few owners and all were very cordial and glad to spend time telling about their cars. First time I've seen a chopped 62 Impala, looked pretty cool and saw them cruising everywhere.

Excited to be getting busy on ours again now.

Dennis & Chris

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dennis................you were right!!! All 62 409s had dripper valve covers. 63-65 340HP did not.
You met Mick Price and Larry Carpenter I'm assuming. Both nice guys. Mick had the Zintmaster car and just recently sold it.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw some 62 or they had the 62 color valve covers there without the drippers did the ones you saw have a spark plug wire holder near the center of the cover as maybe a truck might have.The other cover had the wire holder near the rear as most of of the car covers have.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Yup, that was them. They didn't look like a matched set. They were the pewter color but it looked like I saw some red paint near an edge where it was scratched. He said he'd had them for 40 years and was only selling since he had other sets. They didn't have any dents and asking price was $150.00. I offered $130 and figured to add drippers and correct wire holders. I have a near perfect set off a truck so I'll convert them to look right until I find a real set.

He did know of this site hut made a couple comments about (know it alls) but not really knowing what they were talking about. Said he took those off an original 409/409. I'm just learning about these engines and didn't feel comfortable arguing about what he had. There was also a set of small diameter exhaust manifolds on the table.

Dennis

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like he had his mind made up about the covers being what they were, so no use trying to change his mind. Maybe he took them off a hp motor but they were not original to that motor, who knows?