stroke 348 build

valvefloat

Well Known Member
I was on craigslist and found a set of 333 heads, 409 crank, and rods. While there purchasing the parts I got to check out the guys dual quad 409 in his 64 biscayne.

That day has sent me down a path to pull a perfectly good engine for more power!!!! I have found this sight and many individuals very helpful. This site has given me lots of confidence with this project. I done small block builds which helps.

Here's some pics of the pulling crew. Me with my boys and brother in law, the garage, and some parts.

Attachments

• crew 2 Photo2229.jpg
    crew 2 Photo2229.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
  • engine bay Photo2235.jpg
    engine bay Photo2235.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
  • engine1 Photo2233.jpg
    engine1 Photo2233.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • carbs Photo2100.jpg
    carbs Photo2100.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
  • block Photo2280.jpg
    block Photo2280.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • garage Photo2237.jpg
    garage Photo2237.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good start! So what are your plans, what do you hope to achieve, and which vehicle will the 409 reside in?

Best,
TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
A 409 and 2 sons to help you with the project!!!! Couldn't be any better!!!! GREAT project!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that an 09,or a 348? Best of luck on the build.What are the planned spec's for the engine ?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think his motor is a 348 and he intends to add the 333 heads, 409 crank and misc other parts to the combo if I am reading this correctly :rub:dunno

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Hi All!!!! took awhile to get back. I'm working on a 1958 348. The block does have the sparkplug pads but undrilled. I got the heads tore down today. That took 3 days between family events. The block is stripped. Time to order the gasket kit, bearings, and cam. I also bought a pair of Eddy carbs off ebay. I polished up the housings and removed the brackets. The brackets, rods, and screws were sent out this week for a fresh yellow zinc plating. I also pulled the ornaments and center bumper component for new chrome. She's a beauty and really deserves to have some love from me finally. People just love her at stop lights and gatherings.

My plan is to end up with a smooth running car with as much horse power as possible. I like lump, I have an 85 Monte SS with plenty. The engine was self built. I don't feel lump goes with the cars appearance and future plans. The Bel has dog dish hub caps, beauty rings, big white walls and skirts. I'd like to add some lake pipes, a visor, and continental kit. I figure though just because she looks and sounds as sweet as apple pie why can't she getup and go and have some eye popping quads when you pop the hood!!!!!!!

I was always dissapointed in the engines performance. I added a 700r4 which helped with off the line reaction and high way cruising. It's the family cruiser. I love hitting the old drivin restaurants, ma and pa restaurants with my Bel Air. So for the past 7 years its been complacent about its performance. Well after saving up some cash and reading about about 333 heads cost and performance comparison to 817s I looked for some. I found a set 20 minutes from home and here I am with a big project. I would like to be complete by memorial day but will opted for happy results over good timing.

I really appreciate all the interest. I've asked lots of people for help and advice on this site and have not been let down.

valvefloat

Well Known Member
Don't forget the wing-dings that go next to the rear seal when you reassemble.

When I bought my heads that was the first thing the guy pointed out! He also said you need a 60 thou washer to use my sbc flywheel on the 409 crank due to the lobe on the flang. he said alot, I hope I remember it when the time comes! I got his number close and the site for backup!