stroker 348 finally lives---

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
it has been awhile since my last post, but just wanted to let you all know that my 427 stroked 348 is running now (breakin period) with 2X4's 500cfm edelbrock carbs on a offy manifold hooked up with solid linkage (very responsive) also very thirsty!!. I have it behind a 2004R with a 3:55 rear with the eaton posi added. I did build my trans mount using the stock frame brackets... if anyone is interested i could try to post a couple of shots. This combo is in my 61 hardtop. I have finally farmed out my body and paint work on my 61 wagon as i am not getting any younger and felt i had not accomplished that much in the 8 yrs. i have owned it.I seem to remember a dicsussion on initial timing on these W's and total timing --- could anyone refresh my memory... and this IS a street application. Thanks and hi to Tom in Columbia, Mo.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
timing...

Mine runs best at 18 degrees at 1000rpm all in at 2000rpm with total at 36 degrees. Great response and no heat issues.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, baby!

Dean:

Congrats on the progress report :). I knew you'd get 'er fired soon! Is she in a rolling vehicle, or is that still in progress as well?

I just "visited" mine down the basement (stroked 348) and wondered why I don't have a body to put her in :(. Been working day and night on the '62 BA sedan, getting ready for paint. Long ways off, but trying to put 4-6 hours in every day....

Seems I've got multiple non-car related projects going that take up too much time. And the new semester begins in two weeks. Looks like it might be a busy Fall for me!

Glad to hear that she fired up and made it through the break-in period. Let's hope she gives you lots of fun and performance to boot :).

Cheers!
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dean, Great news on the stroker...:clap I would love to see some pics of your trany mount. I am using a Richmond 6-speed in a 61' Bel-Air. Richmond says the mount needs to be moved back 3.75" and down 9/16". Just wonder if the 200r and 700r might be close.

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
trans mount

Good news Dan, my 2004R mount is approx. 5 1/2 inches further back than stock, so your 6 speed will not be as radical as mine. I used angle iron off the rear side of the boby mounts picking up both of the original crossmember bolt holes for strength and added spacers where the original cross-mount set if that makes sense. Then i used a piece of rectangular tube 1 in. by 3 in. to go across from one angle iron to the other, cut a slot in the end of the angle and welded in the rectangular tube....i really will try to post a pic soon as i know this sounds like mumbo jumbo. Tom, the breakin period IS driving my car down the road and it seems to run fairly good--- i did build it fairly mild with 9 1/2 to 1 compression and fairly mild cam by Dimitri Elgin. Pic is just after engine installed in my cleaned up engine bay.

Attachments

• DCP_4860.jpg
    DCP_4860.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 110
  • DCP_4899.jpg
    DCP_4899.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 144

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dean, Your car looks great. I like the wheels and it sits just right...:clap:clap:clap

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
pics of my 200 4R trans mount and new crossover pipe --

Yes Brian, i should be at cruise Sat. eve. Dean

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 88

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Way to go!

Dude, that car,engine and exhaust look great! Nice job. Nothing like that first ride.:cheers

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
409 repop oil pan

First, thanks for the nice comments, my breakin period has some flaws --- huffing oil vapor out intake breather --- so i did a compression check and #8 is 150 and the rest are 180 to 190+ range...looks like a bad maybe 2nd compression ring. Anyway, guys, i am running a repop 409 pan to clear the 427 throws and was wondering if you can tell me if it is a 5 or 6 qt. capacity with filter. Thanks,Dean