Stroker 348?

39chevy

Well Known Member
With all the big-inch 409's around, I am wondering if anyone has gone to the trouble to build a stroked 348. I realize the bore is a .25 smaller, but will the 4" crank from the 454 fit? With a .60 overbore, this should give something in the range of 450 cubes. Add the new Edelbrock heads and intake, some lightweight pistons and rods and a roller cam and you should have a pretty hot motor. It just seems to me since 348's are still pretty cheap, and a lot of the really good stuff is being reproduced, it isn't absolutely necessary to start out with a 409 block. Has anyone out there done this?

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lots of times. Canadian Pontiac guy has done several and I believe he ran one in a truck for 100,000 miles. From that we know they live. There should be no reason not to do it. If you go to a 427 crank you can run an internal balanced engine but with a few cubes less.:deal Roy

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is threads on here with guys who build stroker 348 lots of info for sure

It's routine, 39Chevy... done all the time.
As mentioned, there should be a number of threads here in the forum, that will describe in excrutiating detail, how to prepare one. I haven't seen anybody do it with a 454 crank yet, but I'm sure it CAN be done too.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Myself and fiftiesman are both doing this. I am using the 3.76 crank, Aubreys pistons & mechanical cam profile in a 348 bored to 4.205 (418ci) 6.385 H beam rods 1147 heads and 3X2 intake. fiftiesman is using a 4.00 crankshaft in a 348 bored to 4.155 (434ci) Isky hydraulic cam 333 heads with 7/16" screw in studs, 1.7 crane SS rockers and 3X2 intake. We will post dyno results soon....:brow

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Dan... are you guys both going to be testing on the same dyno ?:brow

THAT should answer a few questions about inches vs RPM:deal

Aubrey, Fiftiesman (Mike) has brought his motor out here to Dick Ewing to finish for him. Mike said he would like to dyno it so I think we are going to be testing on the same dyno. This should be a very interesting outcome and information for the facts page.

What kind of headers ?
It would be an IDEAL opportunity to compare a 1 3/4" tube to 1 7/8":deal
It's these combinations that straddle that area.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What kind of headers ?
It would be an IDEAL opportunity to compare a 1 3/4" tube to 1 7/8":deal
It's these combinations that straddle that area.

I have a doner set of 1-7/8" that I drilled for the EGT sensors. I think Mike will probably use those as well. Now you got me thinking...:scratch Might have to scroung up a set of 1-3/4" to compare...:deal

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Going with the flow

Dan, Aubrey, I'm going to be using a set of 2.5 in. manifolds off of a donor 409. This was recommended by the guy who did the flow work on the heads (John Hascal). Can't go back now, since the head work has been done. I'm looking forward to the "duelling dyno's" :D when these motors get put together Dan.
FM~ (Mike)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, Aubrey, I'm going to be using a set of 2.5 in. manifolds off of a donor 409. This was recommended by the guy who did the flow work on the heads (John Hascal). Can't go back now, since the head work has been done. I'm looking forward to the "duelling dyno's" :D when these motors get put together Dan.
FM~ (Mike)

Mike, I was talking about using the headers just for the dyno so you can tune with the EGT sensors.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Dan, if mine was done in time I could bring it down as well......... we could have our own 348-409.com dyno shoot out !!!

Dave

I was just thinking that those 1 7/8" headers should provide our best max horsepower figures. Not neccessarilly the ultimate for street use though... especially if the car is just an automatic.