stroker crank kit

chevyjason

Well Known Member
This question has probabally been asked to death but i have just picked up a 409 here in Australia and i have a very limited amount of info available to me.
Is there a kit available for useing a big block crank in a 409 that has pistons, bearings, rods etc?
And is there any problems to be concerned with? (breakage, unreliable etc)

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The stroker kits work great in these engines! You end up with 474 cubic inches with a .030 overbore if you use a modified 454 crank. (4" stroke) You can also use a crank from a 396/427 and end up with about 450 cubic inches. Either setup works really well. The cranks are modified to fit the 409 and they use regular big block Chevy rods. I got my stroker kit from Curt Harvey http://www.mr409.com/ He's built a bunch of these strokers and can describe what to watch for when building the engine. I see in another post that you need a set of 690/583 heads. You might try giving Tony Shafer a call at (816) 461-7862. He's part of a group that's been working on new aluminum heads for these engines, they should be ready soon I think.:dunno If you want you can also order a complete turn key stroker motor from Tony. The one he built for the convention last year made 575hp and was very streetable.:deal An engine like that would look good in your 62 Belair.:cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Aluminum Heads

Jim,

I heard that the aluminum heads project was trashed... Are they still working on it ???:dunno

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Aluminum heads, ETC.

The aluminum head project is NOT trashed. It's moving on . When it's done, we can thank Rich Rojeski, Tony Schaeffer, and Vince Chiappardi. They have put a ton of work in this. Should be top shelf stuff.

Not much longer. Might want to save a spot under a Christmas Tree.

Fred