Strokers

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I've followed a few threads on this topic. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience on building 348 / 409 Stroker motors.

1. Recomended components& build features for these engines.e.g. (solid/roller/Hyd) cams? (Rods/forged pistons/crank sources etc.)
2. parts and procedures to stay away from.
3. If you would build a "348-409 stroker" again ...what would you do different???
4. Preferred "Blocks"

RCE1962

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
new engine

I used a 348 block, 409 crank, Eagle BBC rods, C&H pistons, Offenhauser intake, 409 pan, SBC HV Melling oil pump, 333 truck heads with new valves, springs etc. The only thing I would do different next time would be to buy the entire rotating assembly from Show Cars. I think it comes out a little cheaper and you could get a little more stroke for the money. will fire it up soon.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As far as blocks go, I have built 3 4in. stroke motors. one was a 068 block , one was 422 and one was 656. I know there is talk that the 656 is a stronger block. but Ive had no problems. As far as components go, no differance from any other engine, it depends on engine use as to what you choose for cam, etc. And if this is a build beginning from step 1, and you dont have parts, models makes a good suggestion. Its cheaper in the long run, to order the kit from Showcars. $2,000 sounds like a lot, until you start buying separately and it ususally adds up to more. Hope this helps. Good luck

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The new race motor to be installed in the next week or two. 814 block
with center three mains converted to 4 bolt from PRO-Gram Engineering.
Callies 4" BB crank Mains cut to 409 spec., Comstar steel rods 6.385 long,
JE 13-1 pistons fly cut to accept .683 in. & .700 ex. 268 duration@ .050,
Bullet Roller Cam, Melling 10555 oil pump, set of 690 mild ported heads,
with 11/32 Ferra valves, Isky tool room steel springs, modified CRW intake
with 2-750 Edlebrock carbs (Jetting is unknown as of now), CRW alum water pump.
MSD distributor, SB Fluidampr light damper, Cloyes Timing chain set.
Cost!!!!! "Who's counting":dunno
Allen
The MSD distributor has been used in three race motors before this one.
the intake has been used on the 450 motor 3 years ago. the heads also
where on the 450 motor at one time. the H2O pump has been used before.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
WOW! Now that's what you call an engine! I'll bet it'll really haul that big Impala down the track.

I got all the stuff I needed for my engine from Curt Harvey. (C.H. Enterprises in the links sect.) He only sells parts as a side line business now so he can be hard to reach sometimes but he's built a ton of these engines and can talk you through all the steps. I just gave him an honest description of what I wanted out of the engine and then went with the parts he recommended. It's also important to find a good machine shop that's comfortable working on W engines. The guy I used passed away last year so I can't recommend him. Another way to go is to get a block and ship it to somebody like Aubrey or Tony Shaffer and let them do the short block assembly for you. The shipping cost isn't all that bad and at least you know you've got an expert working on your engine. As far as value goes a truck block is the cheapest way to go. I think the nice part about a stroker is that you can have a very streetable engine that makes big power.:cheers