Suggestions for a Posi

Junky

Well Known Member
Been researching the availability of a new Posi unit for my 1962 Wagon.. I found the Yukon on eBay for $607, an Eaton Dana for $535, and the Nitro Power Lock Posi for $592. I will also be installing new bearings, etc. All 3 are relatively close in price, but I am looking at quality more than just price. Same for the gear set. I was told to stay away from the gears from the Orient, and that those built in Italy are a good quality.. Suggestions on brands and sellers of these items will be greatly appreciated. I will be putting a 3.08 into the car. Thanks Junk

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have never had any luck with Yukon brand. Now this was from about 10-12 years ago but I had a bunch of failures. I switched back to known quality brands, and no more issues. Precision gear, Dana, Richmond, Detroit,Eaton, names like that are still quality in my opinion.

bobs409

Administrator
9293a4f74903befbf93046e4ee20250b.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Junky, Tom parsons has posted in detail on this on ChevyTalk, including reviewing Eaton and Nitro. Check DZAUTO posts, including how to install a posi in a non posi case, that’s a sticky in the 61-64 forum. I think he likes both but since eaton is the leader, that’s what I’d buy. More likely to be supported with parts over the long haul?

Maybe search Nitro and I think you’ll see lots of posts and pictures.

Junky

Well Known Member
I did read what Tom had originally posted, however, that was quite a while ago that he wrote that article, and I know that things change. I felt that I would get more knowledge from the racers here than I would on Chevy Talk, and I also know that Tom frequents many of the Chevrolet forums. I have seen him post on one of the Corvette forums that I also go to just to read.
One of the most difficult things that I have encountered on some of the manufacturers websites, is that they don't offer everything that one would need to get it all in one package. I am also looking for recommendations for who makes the best gears. I hope that I can get all Timken bearings, but so far, all that I can find is a master install kit with a combination of bearings from a couple of different manufacturers.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Trophy Track from Fabcraft if you’re running an Olds/Pontiac :brow:brow

I’d say Eaton as well. I have a couple, posi in the car and detroit locker in the truck. Good products made in the states, both work great.:good

Haven’t heard anything good about auburn stuff, same with Yukon. I don’t have any first hand experience with either tho.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had a brand new Auburn cone style posi that would only spin 1 tire. Very disappointed. That was 25 years ago though.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Took me a little bit of patience but I found one guy with a good chevrolet posi unit with a bad gear set that I scooped up for $150 and another guy had a good chevrolet 4:11 gear set on an open diff that was in a 57 chevy that I paid a paltry $100 for and sold the housing for $75. I spoke to Tom Parsons and he said if I could find an original Chevrolet gear set to grab it because they are getting harder and harder to find and are still better than any of the new gear sets. The original 60+ year old Chevrolet bearings were in good shape in both units so they went right back in. This all went back into my 61 Parkwood Patina car that a buddy and I are putting together for a daily/parts chaser. Found an original paint rf fender so it will match the rest of the body. You can see the hood leaning up against the booth in the picture that should blend right with the rest. It is a pretty clean Oklahoma car to start with. A warmed over 350/700r4 2600/2800 converter 4:11's air ride and 18/20's 86727970_184947426107227_6081662708904624128_n.jpgIMG_1090.JPG86727970_184947426107227_6081662708904624128_n.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Took me a little bit of patience but I found one guy with a good chevrolet posi unit with a bad gear set that I scooped up for $150 and another guy had a good chevrolet 4:11 gear set on an open diff that was in a 57 chevy that I paid a paltry $100 for and sold the housing for $75. I spoke to Tom Parsons and he said if I could find an original Chevrolet gear set to grab it because they are getting harder and harder to find and are still better than any of the new gear sets. The original 60+ year old Chevrolet bearings were in good shape in both units so they went right back in. This all went back into my 61 Parkwood Patina car that a buddy and I are putting together for a daily/parts chaser. Found an original paint rf fender so it will match the rest of the body. You can see the hood leaning up against the booth in the picture that should blend right with the rest. It is a pretty clean Oklahoma car to start with. A warmed over 350/700r4 2600/2800 converter 4:11's air ride and 18/20's View attachment 80601View attachment 80602View attachment 80601
What's that "dolly" hanging off the front end of the car??