SUPER CHEVY NATIONAL TRAIL RACEWAY COLUMBUS JULY 28-29TH

Mark Steele

Well Known Member
That was a great couple of days at National Trail. It is great to see so many kids and grand kids coming with their Dad's and Granddads. "Code Red's" Grandson young Will knows every nut and bolt on their car. I'm just waiting for the day when he will be wheeling that great car down the track. Thanks to a lot of you for the help you gave me. Your help makes me a better competitor. When I'm going down the track, it feels like I'm driving a rocket, but the clock tells the real story. It sure is a lot of fun. Best to each and every one of you. Mark

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I just wanted to thank a few people for their help this last weekend at Columbus. First, Bryan Fugate and Martin for the effort they put in for the 409 club, Bo Martin for loaning me his spare starter, Denny Ford for tools to install said starter, Iowa Daves buddy, Ron for helping during startups, and Iowa Dave for loaning Ron to me, and for his good company and stories. We had a really great group of cars and people representing the 409 club. Oh, one more thing I think deserves mentioning, Brian Labombards 9.05 pass was done in the heat of the day at a track that sets at 770 ft. Above sea level , and almost equalling his best of 9.04 done out east in cooler air and lower alitude. That 9.05 would have been an 8 second pass back home. Pretty impressive Brian. Enjoyed talking with all the club members, and meeting a couple more that I hadn't met before.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Here is my thoughts on Super Chevy.
I feel fortunate to have gone to Indy Super Chevy starting in 1983. What I call the good ole days. In this part of the country, guys would work on their show cars and race cars for 11 months just to be ready in July. Indy was our Super Bowl. Then SC got real popular and they started have events all over the country. They got greedy. Then.....they started to dilute their product by having too many events. Then attendance started down after a while. That's my opinion why the attendance has dropped.
Same situation with NASCAR.

Bomar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I feel fortunate to have gone to Indy Super Chevy starting in 1983. What I call the good ole days. In this part of the country, guys would work on their show cars and race cars for 11 months just to be ready in July. Indy was our Super Bowl. Then SC got real popular and they started have events all over the country. They got greedy. Then.....they started to dilute their product by having too many events. Then attendance started down after a while. That's my opinion why the attendance has dropped.
Phil ,I met you and Candy for the first time at Super Chevy at Indy in the 80s . I came with Denny, you left passes for us at a gate , I don't remember witch gate but it wasn't the main one. Denny had the red and gray diesel Suburban at the time. I'm giving these details because I can't remember what year it was. It could have been 1983. I also remember I drank a lot of your beer that day. lol I agree with you about SC . Indy was packed with cars and vendors. Don't get me wrong I enjoy SC today because I get to see old 348-409 friends and meet new ones .

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And jacked the prices WAY up for vendors. Then they got rid of the small food vendors and made everyone buy that slop that NHRA sold. Plus wasn't there a year where they had oiled the gravel roads and then it rained? They made everyone drive there show cars through that oily mess. There was oil everywhere in the swap section. It might of been goodguys but, I don't think so.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes Dan......I remember the oil!!!!
I started out in the swap meet area for several years. Then moved up to Manufacturer's Midway. That was expensive but it got more exposure in the magazines coverage.