Super Duty Hood Scoop or not?

Super Duty Hood Scoop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Runaway

Well Known Member
I'm pretty sure Hayden drove a Plymouth for the 63 season. I have some scans I did from the 63 - 64 Mid Atlantic Drag News so I looked for Pontiacs.

Ace Wilson had what looks to be the SD Scoop on his car.

A local to our area, Harold Ramsey didn't have it.

Arlen Vanke ran a Tempist in FX that year but the car didn't have a scoop in this picture.

I just heard toward the end of last week that Arlen had a stroke earlier in the week. Has anyone heard an update about him?
Hi guys. Just got back from the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee. I regards to the hood scoop, I ran a Ford truck scoop like everyone else did at that time. We used to race quite often with Arnie Beswick and when the Passionate Poncho was new it had a Ford truck hood scoop on it. I'm pretty certain it came from the factory that way.Ray Bisig bought a couple of Beswick's cars,the '63 super duty amongst them,and it had the hood scoop still on it. Seltzer Pontiac on Irving Park Road,who I believe sponsored Beswick at the time,had a super duty on the floor and that car had a hood scoop on it.

pjnewlin

Supporting Member 1
I have not been able to convince myself to cut my hood for the scoop and i do not think a different hood could be painted to match well enough for me to be happy with it. It is not off the table and is still being contemplated.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I like it as is . Paint might or might not match, my concern is appearance with scoop .It"s your car , but I would cringe also to see any scoop on it. If z11 car"s had them it would be a different story, but then also they probably would be hard to find and expensive.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I like the way your car looks with the stock hood, raised at the back to let air out, and the headlight delete. If I were you I might try the scoop on a spare hood since you already have it. It will look nice with it I'm sure, but not as good as now in my opinion.

pjnewlin

Supporting Member 1
Would someone with a SD scoop in use on a 63 hood be willing to offer their measurements for the placement of the scoop? It would be great to have an additional reference. Thanks in advance.

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
I know I've read somewhere that back in the day that Pontiac bought a bunch of those scoops from Ford and put a Pontiac part number on them so they were legal to use.Hmm... I know I have the article somewhere but I've got way to many magazines to look.

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
Found this.....

Just for information I found the following website that speaks to the pontiac use of the hood scoops:

http://www.diecastmuscle.com/store/HI50150

I have checked the information and it is accurate. Here is the text incase the website does not come up.

"The original Super Duty 421 Lemans Tempests were Pontiac factory-built drag race-only coupes and station wagons, designed to combat other factory lightweights that had a weight advantage over the big Super Duty Catalinas. One "mule" car was built as a Tempest coupe in Silvermist Metallic and Blue interior, which was the testbed for the series. Eventually six Lemans-badged coupes were built, along with six Tempest station wagons in Cameo White with blue interiors. All sported deceiving 326 V-8 emblems, cleverly hiding the 421 cubic inch monster lurking under the hood.

In addition to the 421 engines, the Super Duty Lemans Tempests featured aluminum front sheetmetal, aluminum bumpers and a unique clutch-operated 4-speed transaxle. This transaxle arrangement placed more weight over the rear tires and allowed clutchless shifting, much like modern drag racing transmissions. Special parts on the 421 SD's included dual 4-barrel carbs mounted on the massive "bath tub" intake manifold, sealed aluminum cross-flow radiator with special overflow tank, and factory exhaust dumps. Other features included heater delete plates on the firewall, trunk mounted battery, special "black box" access door to the transaxle and clutch assembly, and hood scoop lifted from a competitor's medium duty truck line and given a Pontiac part number for the SD project.

The Super Duty Tempests were built over the Christmas holiday of 1962 and delivered just prior to the GM corporate racing ban of Jan 23, 1963. Pontiac abandoned factory-sponsored racing shortly thereafter, but not before making legends out of the drivers such as Arnie "Farmer" Beswick, Jess Tyree, and Arlen Vanke. "

So, I am still looking for one. Any help would be appreciated

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
there was a full sized pontiac super duty aluminum front end raced at my local drag strip back then, and was a crowd pleaser. The car's owner live's about 60 mile's from me , not 100% sure if he still has it. I was told when i asked about him if he was still around, old guy now of course, they said yes but he like's his booze and drunk all the time!!!!!