Super Duty Hood Scoop or not?

Super Duty Hood Scoop?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I voted. I am biased because I already have the large sd-style scoop. No real steel hoods were harmed while filming this adventure!!!

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've seen many scoops that weren't stock at NMCA races. I doubt they would call you on it. They need the car counts.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Eddy, What kind of scoop did you run> My car had a big Hemi scoop on one of the hoods when I bought it. The other hood had a plexiglass Tunnel ram scoop. They had a real early tunnel ram and no one had made scoops yet

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Was looking on eBay under 1963 Pontiac yesterday and they had 2 of them up for bid. One was in the $350 range the other I can't remember.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Eddy, What kind of scoop did you run> My car had a big Hemi scoop on one of the hoods when I bought it. The other hood had a plexiglass Tunnel ram scoop. They had a real early tunnel ram and no one had made scoops yet

It was a genuine Ford truck super duty hood scoop bought at Courtesy Ford (Jim Moran) on Grand Ave and Wabansia Ave. in Chicago.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim Moran, Your TV Ford man. At least 100 commercials a day. Didn't they run ads on Flash Gordon on Sundays??

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Flash Gordon, the Cisco Kid, Zorro, Rocky Jones Space Ranger, and more. As Well as Uncle Johnny Cunze, and Garfield Goose in the afternoon I think the spokes man was Bert Wieman.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Nope, it was Lyn Burtton for Burt Weiman Ford on Sunday Afternoon. Barron's Blackhawk Mercury was down the street.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Reading this thread reminded me that one of the dumbest things I've done was to install a SD scoop on a nice '62 hood. I did this back in the day (1963) and thought it was cool so I did it again a couple of years ago. Put radirs and the hood scoop on the car, went to one show and took that stuff off. Anyway I listed the hood in the For Sale section if anyone is interested.

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Personally I like the look of the scoop on a race car. From what I read I can’t find any proof of that scoop ever offered from the factory even on the Pontiacs sold to race teams. I could be wrong here but my guess would be that somewhere someone saw the ford truck scoop and tried it and the fad caught on. If you look at original Pontiac super duties and the Swiss cheese Pontiacs such as the Reggie Jackson Swiss cheese Pontiacs they didn’t have them. Seems that most races allow them so I have no problem with them. There sure seems to be a lot of miss information out there about them though. That is why I say I could very well be wrong here. I do know they were available on Ford f850 trucks as early as 1962 and possibly even earlier. Therefor if you like the looks go ahead. :beer

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Jim,
I agree, I have tried for years to come up with the Pontiac part number, all of the drag racing articles claim Pontiac purchased a batch of them and issued a part number but I beleive that's an old wives tale because no one can produce the number. I have found the Ford number but no Pontiac number. It would seem that if none of the Pontiac people can come up with the number then there should be something in the NHRA records but I've tried everywhere with no luck. I remember going to the little Ford dealer in my hometown in 1963 and ordering the scoop with the chrome grille. I think it cost less than 30 bucks back then.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Tommy , Back in 1974 I was the parts manager for the area Pontiac Dealer and I never saw a listing for that scoop. But I didn't have the HD ( Heavy Duty ) Pontiac parts book either. I couldn't get one from HELM INC. I was told they were out of print . One customer had a early Catalina Super Duty and I remember that car had the scoop on it. I could never find the GM part # .
Wouldn't that Pontiac Guru "Jim W know about them ? I don't know his last name. He was just on My Classic Car last Saturday.

:crazy:dance:cheers

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I kinda wondered if Hayden would know. didn't he drive a '63 SD for Mickey Thompson

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I kinda wondered if Hayden would know. didn't he drive a '63 SD for Mickey Thompson

I'm pretty sure Hayden drove a Plymouth for the 63 season. I have some scans I did from the 63 - 64 Mid Atlantic Drag News so I looked for Pontiacs.

Ace Wilson had what looks to be the SD Scoop on his car.

A local to our area, Harold Ramsey didn't have it.

Arlen Vanke ran a Tempist in FX that year but the car didn't have a scoop in this picture.

I just heard toward the end of last week that Arlen had a stroke earlier in the week. Has anyone heard an update about him?