Super Shoot 44 North lawrence, Oh

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My shooting buddy and I went to another match last week. This match is the largest match held in the world annually. When I first started going there were close to 400 competitors. Numbers have been dwindling as the old guys die off and the young are too smart to do this sport. This year when commence fire was called there were 203 shooters. Everyone wants to win what is called the 2 gun, which consists of 4 days of shooting. Each day you shoot a warm up match and 5 record targets consisting of 5 shots each or 100 shots total. There are two classes---Lv 10.5# and Hv 13.5# guns. Most guys shoot the same Lv gun in both classes. Each class shoots at 100 yards and 200 yards. Day 1 Lv100 Day 2 Hv100 Day 3 Hv200 Day 4 Lv 200. There is what is called a Grand Aggregate which is compromised of adding each 100/200 together. The 2 gun is compromised of adding both Grand Aggs together. There is lots of ground to be made up in the 200 yard legs as you will see.

The first day Dean and both shot bad. I don't have the results of that day but we had to be 50-60th. Day 2 we didn't do very well in the yardage but we did gain some in the 2 gun. Dean 49 Me 35. The next day at Hv200 we started to pick up the pace. Neither of us made the top 20 in the yardage, but we did come up in the 2 gun. Dean 38 Me 32. The final day everyone is getting worn out an ready to go home. Time for us to kick it in the a$$. In this Lv200 Dean finished 10th in the yardage and 20th in the Grand Agg. I finished 14th in the yardage and 17th in the Grand Agg. I seldom look at the score sheet, but I went up after I shot my last group and after 4 targets Dean was 21st and I was 22nd in the 2 Gun. Dean shot a last group of .465 and I shot a .435---when the dust settled Dean was 15th and I was 18th in the 2 gun. We shot for 4 days and our last groups were good enough to get us into the 2 Gun. I never was much of a quitter.......:winnerWe won a little cash and as usual, the best score in the 2 gun in our traveling group has to buy the ice cream. Dean beat me after 4 days of shooting by .0021

A man by the name of Tony Boyer at 78 won the Super Shoot for the 7th time. This record will never be broken. He won both Grand Aggregates and set several new records. This guy is the best benchrest shooter in the world and has well over 4 times as many Hall Of Fame points as the second place HOF guy. I'm proud to say he is my friend.SS Ice Cream.jpg

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That is great to hear Dave.
Is this with your new rifle? or the one you had over here?
Still cant believe it till you see it that you shoot 5 shots at 200 yards and the total spread from outside to outside is .435 bigger than your calibre

Were Gene and Ed etc there as well?

Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That is great to hear Dave.
Is this with your new rifle? or the one you had over here?
Still cant believe it till you see it that you shoot 5 shots at 200 yards and the total spread from outside to outside is .435 bigger than your calibre

Were Gene and Ed etc there as well?

Steve

You will appreciate the following Steve as you have been to a match and saw how things work. On Thursday at Hv200 yds Tony shot a .2xx in the warm-up match and then for the following 5 record matches he shot 4 more two's and a 5. Needless to say he won that match. I have never seen an exhibition like that before. I watched him shoot every group with a spotting scope as i followed on the next relay. The next day with a different rifle at Lv200 for record Tony shot two 2's, two 3's, and a five. He came in third. It's a tough game. Tony has missed shooting on only 2 of the 12 World Team matches, both due to family illnesses/death thus not being able to qualify.

Gene and Ed didn't attend. I shot what I call my #1 rifle last year in NZ and shot my #2 rifle at the Super Shoot. I sold my #3 rifle there. They all 3 have the same components but it seems I gravitate towards#1 built in 2005 the most depending on the barrel accuracy. Guns are kinda like race engines. You can build two the same and one will outperform the other. I should have my new rifle any day now. I'll post pics if I remember.

Last edited: