Swap Meet other buys

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
As mentioned in bolt thread, went to swap meet Saturday. Started my 348/409 build with one of my purchases. :good Frank Fritz isn't the only "bundler". Got good deal, I think, on these348 AIR CLEANERS SHIFTER.JPGAIRCLEANER 2 FULL VIEW.JPGSHIFTER HANDLE.JPGAIRCLEANER 1.JPGAIRCLEANER 2 SNOUT.JPG. Now, like my bolts I can store them. Anybody but Phil know what the aircleaners fit? How about shifter handle?

Fuzz

MAGA

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Shifter looks like 64 Impala ,Chevelle bench seat cars. Air cleaner common small block????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Air cleaners are 1963 & 1964 Chevy 283 ( 2 and 4 barrel) and 327 4 barrel both years.
Actually the extra fluted ends welded to each snorkel - I think might be 1964 Chevy only but the rest of the air cleaner lids are definitely 63 & 64.

Shifter I think is factory 64 Chevy Impala bench seat 4 speed shifter handle. ( not sure if Chevelle shifter is the also the same shifter). It bolts to the factory shifter body.

The top valve cover in the pictures is 1958 Chevy 348 ( one year only valve covers with rounded ends) - the rounded ends(4 ends) of the valve covers are 1958 only - all other years 1961 to 1965 409 value covers AND 1959 to 1961 Chevy 348 valve covers have sloped ends on each valve cover.
I can’t tell for sure in the pictures but the bottom valve cover might have sloped ends and be from 1959 to 1961 - 348 or a 409 valve cover. Pictures taken from the side of both valve covers will confirm they are both 1958 348 value covers.

Nothing wrong with the valve covers for a 409 I just note the one year 348 valve covers when I see them
Paul

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Winner winner, chicken dinner for Paul on the air cleaners. I’m not an expert, but from what I recall hearing/reading these are 1964 one year only air cleaners - 283 and 327. Kind of hard to find nowadays and here were two sitting side by side at the swap meet. 64’s have the snorkel ends as Paul described. Also look at the round part where the snorkel attaches. 64’s are “flat” there - no indentation. A ‘63 air cleaner has an indentation in the middle of where snorkel attaches. These air cleaners have two barrel bases. Air cleaner tops will fit either two or four bases. Phil- is this correct? Will have to look at the valve covers better to see if they are the same or not. Will have to admit I’m totally ignorant about them and how to identify. Will probably end up on garage wall. Hope the shifter is for ‘64. Have to measure it and look it up on web site that has information about them. (Can’t remember name of it right now). Paul, thanks and may post better pictures of valve covers so you can ID them better.

Fuzz

MAGA

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Paul,

Looked at valve covers again. You are spot on! They aren’t the same. One is a ‘58 and the other is also like you described. Thanks for your information.

Fuzz

MAGA

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks
I’ve watched for them and noticed 1958 - 348 valve covers on at least 6 high dollar frame off restored mostly 62 409 cars
over the last 8 months.
Paul

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Thanks
I’ve watched for them and noticed 1958 - 348 valve covers on at least 6 high dollar frame off restored mostly 62 409 cars
over the last 8 months.
Paul

Went to a car show a couple years ago and a guy had a gorgeous ‘63 with lots of accessories. The 300 HP 327 had one ‘62 valve cover and one ‘63-‘64 valve cover. Didn’t know if I should tell him or not.

Fuzz

MAGA

Junky

Well Known Member
Went to a car show a couple years ago and a guy had a gorgeous ‘63 with lots of accessories. The 300 HP 327 had one ‘62 valve cover and one ‘63-‘64 valve cover. Didn’t know if I should tell him or not.

Fuzz

MAGA

I have learned that it isn't worth the hassle to let someone know that there are mistakes on their car, unless they ask you. A few years ago, a fellow was asking me what I thought of his new purchase. It was a Buick and someone riveted on a Chevrolet VIN. I pointed it out to him, and that was the last time that I saw the car or the owner. Being he had the car for only a few days, I would bet that he went back to the seller, and made a stink about it. The seller was a new/used car dealer, that handled the paper work for him at the DMV. They took the car in trade, and when they realized that there was a problem, they shuffled it out quickly to another person, rather than fixing the problem with the DMV.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The Wendy's by our house, had Car Show's every Friday night.:appl This was 20 or so, years ago.:dunno My yougest son, Mark and I were checking out this Beautiful Black 64 SS, with a 409.:love As our eyes went down, the driver's side Quarter panel, we noticed a slight ripple.:doh It was a run, in the paint.:confused Just as we were about to leave, the owner came by, and said "what were you guys, checking out, the run in the paint?" He caught us by surprise.:dunno2 I told him, No I was noticing, how straight your Quarter was.:rolleyes Don't know, if he bought my lame excuse. Obviously, that was a sore spot for him. Other than that run, the car was Perfect. :appl

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't for get the 2 wire loom in the middle, above the bowtie is 348 beside the bowtie is 409.