Switching upper front control arms

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is my old arm

s-l1600.jpg

Works pretty well and has more caster, but not enough for me. Not much help with the camber also. Uses the old style 3 bolt Ujoint

I am going to this arm with more adjustability and uses the modern A, G body 4 bolt Ujoint that is available in an adjustable version if needed. Should be here Monday.
94355.jpg

This is the new version with the 4 bolt joint. The old version from SPC was the Corvette arm with a different cross shaft. They said people were asking for a modern adjustable ball joint. This is a street version. I think they have a lightweight version available to order. This one is SPC 94355

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Car does not drive and handle well ?? Is that why you think you need more caster and camber???

Last edited:

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've been waiting for some time off work to install the ones you're removing. Should be easy since there is no need to pull the springs, correct?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I can see why they would be prone to twisting there is no inner support. I have the one' s you are removing ,very happy with those. I have the global west system to complete the drive ability bump steer encountered with these cars . No more jumping around in the road . It drives and handles like a dream.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I had no adjustment to correct the camber with the old arms. I was going to cut and move the frame mounts to fix this but, SPC told be last fall a new version of there arm was comming shortly. You could not have twisted these, they are the new model. New flanged cross shafts and new 4 bolt mount and ball joint with .5" extension This is a new part number and so new, some sites don't have a pic yet. We run SPC control arms like these on our off road trucks without trouble. These are also heavier construction than the race part. These are meant for street vehicles and carry a guarantee. The old part number was 94360. It was a modified early Corvette arm and had trouble on the big cars. I will post a pic of the old part. Smaller sized adjusters, no flange on the cross shaft and only a 3 bolt u-joint, shorter u-joint and no spacer/support on the ball joint mount. The old arm was considered Corvette or lightweight B body. We'll see what happens down the road. They can be installed without compressing the lower spring. Lift the car from the outer of the lower arm and it will allow the two frame bolts to be removed and the ball joint taper to be pulled out. I test fit the right last night in about 1/5 hour.

41vq620oTjL.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What was your camber setting and caster. Still don't understand why you would need more ??

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Hope it all works out Mike. When I called SPC and told them they were bent, and asked about a warranty, or refund they said NOPE. They did , however, offer to sell me another set at the normal price. NO THANKS! Hope this newer version holds up better.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I did get 2 on the caster but the camber had the tops of the tires leaning in with no adjustment. The more you lift the front, the more it leans in. I will try and get 4-6 caster and 0 on the camber with the new arms. The 1/2" longer ball joint fixes the lean on turns also.....maybe?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At least change the hardware to grade 8. Can't believe they would use grade 5 on a suspension piece.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I am using the old non-adjustable ones, but I tossed the Chinese ball joints and replaced them with adjustable Howe ball joints. These are rebuildable, available in 3 or 4 bolt configurations, and have several lengths of studs available. No alignment problems here, easy to get settings like above.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I also used Howe extended ball joints, but my issue may have been the higher than normal ride height. My Global West arms show no signs of giving up yet.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
These come with forged steel 1/2" extended ball joints. I didn't check the hardware real close but the little bolts on the BJ plate are 5. The rough in I gave it today looks pretty good. Camber 0....caster 4.1. Thats just a rough cause the cars is close to level. I did caster at 20 out and set to 0, then 20 in to get the 4.

camber.jpgcaster.jpg