T-10 4 speed in a 62

rconnors

I have been considereing installing a tremec 5 speed manual in my 62 impala...I live in Canada so with current exchange rates the trans/ hyd. clutch kit is about $4000 u.s. dollars or about $5000 Canadian dollars and thats if I ship to a U.S. address and get my buddy to take it up to avoid taxes and shipping tp Canada....so with installation, etc. this could easily be a $6500 bill. I just found a super T-10 4 speed complete with bellhousing, shifter, new clutch in box, linkage etc. for $975 in Canada. This is out of a 78 or 79 camaro. Any thoughts on this swap...whos done it...I know I will not have overdrive but it will cost at least less than half even with a new shifter and other unknown problems. What do you guys think .... Thanks a lot

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
how many rings are on the input shaft, is it an all aluminum case, what gear do you have in the diff. The super T 10 tranny is a great up grade over the stock T 10
The clutch disc is 26 spline, where the stock is 12 spline. I do not know about the linkage and camaro bellhousing. I would use your stock bellhousing either the 553 aluminum or cast 552. Good luck, others will chime in.

Kevin

mac1

Well Known Member
Save your money and get the super T-10. When I went from a power glide to a 700 r4, I went from going 60 in the number 3 and 4 lanes to 80+ in the fast lane so no fuel savings there. I got to the shows in record speed though.:brow
IMO, your car will be worth more with the super T-10. I think you will have to relocate the shifter back some on the hump.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
overdrive muncie 4 speed

I am about to install a muncie 4 speed behind a 409 stroker motor with all new Italian gears inside it. One of the 4 gears is overdrive. I paid $1350 (about a year ago) and its a bolt in and hurst shifter for a muncie will bolt up and I can use my supply of used hurst shifters for muncies. I will find out if I like it in a couple of months when I am able to drive the car if I like it since its a 3 speed with a 4th gear as overdrive. No floor modifications are necessary using the original shifter mounting and arms( I recall using a standard hurst shifter overdrive is where 3rd gear is).

If I run a 4:11 Posi (which is what I have) final drive ratio is 3:54. If I run a 3:55 posi final drive ratio is 2.98, with a 3:08 final drive ratio is 2:57. I think my muncie is from a 67 or later.

The transmission was put together by a long time chevy transmission guy from Missouri. He is also a supplier of transmissions to Phil Reed at times. Last price I recall for rebuilt guaranteed standard muncies was $950.

Paul Stensland

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
4 speed

One thing I forgot was that this setup allows me to drive on the highway at reasonable speeds and not turn 4000 + rpm plus I have a car capable of drag race type acceraltion with the 4:11 gears.

I have had 4:56 and 4:11 gears in my other chevys and its very hard on the motor and mileage. The car becomes an in town car with these low rear end ratios.
I was looking for a much less expensive option with low gear posi usage plus no body modifications.

Paul Stensland

mac1

Well Known Member
The Italian gears are top quality. They should be far superior then the overseas ones. My transmission guy offered to build a four speed OD Muncie for me but I didn't think the .92 fourth/OD gear would help much on the highway. Mac

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I installed a Tremec TKO 600 in a 62 Impala. It's a big transmission so you have to modify the floorboards. The Super T-10 is a good transmission but I'd have to say the Tremec is definitely better. But, it's a bit of work to install and it costs more.:dunno
If you already have the clutch and bell housing etc. You don't need to get an entire package. The tranny will bolt up and the Tremec uses the same yoke as a Ford C-6 automatic. They now have a better offset shifter than the one I used but you can just use the shifter that comes with the tranny if you're not concerned about getting in the stock location.
Anyway, if you just buy the transmission alone it's cheaper than an entire kit.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908216+4294856872+4294773202+115&autoview=sku
Here's a thread on the installation...
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4746&highlight=tremec