T-10 + 454, will the trans survive?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
It's FINALLY spring!

I'm trying to clear up plans for some overdue projects before next winter.

I have a '54 Willys 4x4 I need to get running or sold.

I have a T-10 already adapted for 4x4 use.
I think it may a "Close Ratio" version, first gear is not a long jump from second.
It was in my Hurst Jeepster Commando behind a little 225 V6.
It worked OK but first gear was actually a little too tall in hight range, at least with that engine.
I had a T-18 four speed built for The Jeepster, but never installed it.

Now I have to decide, put the T-18 and an SB in the Willy's?
Put the T-10 and the new BB I built in the Willys?
T-10 and SB?
Willys uses Chevy one-ton running gear and fairly big tires.
The T-18 was in the Willys behind an SB that tossed a rod.

I'm kind of hoping that the tall T-10 first gear would not be such an issue with the BB?
But will it take the BB torque? :dunno

TONY0707

Well Known Member
T-10 Tranny

HI I think you will be fine -the trans i had in my 63 chevy never gave me any trouble and i had 550 + h/p behind it -and poping the clutch at 6,000 rpms a lot- do ad a 1/2 can of STP to the trans fluid-best thing i ever did to improve smooth shifting (big difference in syncro messing )and keep wear down- i did have the 2.20 first gear-but wish i had the 2.56 first gear-best rears for my super sport were 488-513 or 538 -i ran the 1/8 mile at islip n.y. i think the t-10 trans is a good deal stronger than it has ever been given credit for-but that is because the munci -that came out shortly after it was stronger yet-so the t-10 gets overlooked-just my two cents-but i was there doing that back in the day-so i know REGARDS TONY