T-10 Mystery Solved

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not that anybody really cares, but in my previous post, I cited that the 59 T-10 oil service instructions from the Service Manual said to fill the transmission approximately 1/2 inch below the filler hole and the 61 manual said to fill it up to the hole. I have found the answer to the discrepancy.
The 57-May 59 T-10 case was the T-10-1 which had the oil filler plug on the right side of the case on a round casting boss. In June of 59, the main case was changed to the T-10-1B which had, among some other changes, the oil filler plug on an oval casting pad on the right side of the case. The T-10-1B filler plug is approximately 1/2 inch lower than the T-10-1 plug and is almost directly in line with the lower rear bolt hole casting where the tailshaft housing attaches to the main case.:deal

:coffee:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
good to know Cecil. i have a 59 t10 coming in to rebuild this month, i will check it out. sure don't want the darn thing leaking oil after the guy gets it back! thank you.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
come to think of it, i think i have a 58 t10 back in my stash. if i can find it i will check it out.

I you do, and want to get rid of it, let me know. I need a T-10-1 case for my 58. I have the tailshaft housing, but still need the main case or a good deal on the complete trans. I have a 60 or 61 T-10-1B to trade, also.:coffee:

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Cecil, i pulled out a 58, a 60, and a 61 T10 today. i see the differance in the 58 fill plug. the 58 isn't for sale. it has a nov. 29 1957 build date. it's not broke but has had a hard life. i bought it off a guy that ran it in a D/MP 56 chevy out of Fortwayne Ind. it has a modified gear set in it. i would like to go through it to see what i've got.