Taillight Harness Question

Al T

I was having some issues with the taillights in my '58 Impala. The taillight housing had some cheap Taiwan made sockets soldered onto them (I guess the clips wouldn't hold) and then a rats nest of wiring. There were some shoddy connections at best and I think some of the bulbs were back feeding each other. I've pulled out all the wiring back to the OEM wiring that was cut off in the trunk to splice in the mess. I'm thinking about buying new housings so they have the correct wiring connectors so I can run OEM wiring to the housings. Looking on-line, how is the taillight harness from Impala Bob's? Looking at the photo they have in the catalog, the bulb wiring looks incorrect? It shows 4 single filament connections and two double filament. That seems backwards for an Impala with back-up lights? Unfortunately my catalog is at home so I can't scan the photo today.
Any suggestions? Can I buy the correct female socket for the housings so I don't have to replace them?

Thanks in advance.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have had the same problem, with tailight sockets, on my 64. It didn't matter, where I bought them. They ARE JUNK.:bang I was lucky, to find original sockets, from old wire harnesses, that were usable. In the beginning, I was Permatexing the inner sockets, to the plastic housing, to keep them secure, but then the clips, that hold the socket, to the housing started breaking off.:doh

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I agree with Skip, repro tailights are probably junk. Find originals if you can.
Same thing with repro sockets for the bulbs.
I have lots of original 1962 tailight sockets on original harnesses, that I do not need. Backup has one green light (2 lights) the other 4 tailights/brake/ and turn signal lights - have two wires per socket pink and black.

Not sure if the light sockets are the same on 58's. I know the 61-64 are the same.

The final option is to buy a new American Autowire wiring harness(the only new wiring to buy) from the dash to the tailights that comes with sockets. Their wiring harnesses are just like the originals and they work.

Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg
Tail light's should look like this . The new wiring for impala have twist in connector's. These are on e bay now.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Will I need to, re-mortgage my house, to afford them? They do look, pretty Kool though.:appl

Al T

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately the taillights I have don't have the OEM sockets. I'd like to buy the taillight harness but it won't work with what I've currently got. They've got aftermarket crap that were soldered onto the housings. I pulled one taillight pig off. This is what I have.

1E1C9C87-EF0B-4D00-B623-BBDD7FD1A1D8_zpstztyubqa.JPG

I'm guessing the OEM style sockets for the harness connections aren't available. All the taillights chrome are in pretty nice shape so it would be a shame to have to replace the entire assemblies. I may try to make what I have work. I think the harness in one of the taillights must have a short though that I'll need to fix. With the driver's signal on, I was getting power where I don't think I should be. Using a test light grounded to the trunk latch and the test light probe touching the taillight housing, the test light was flashing in time with the taillights. This doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Last edited:

Al T

....... and one more question. Looking at the repro taillight harnesses, in stock configuration is one of the red taillights a park light only and the other red taillight park, brake and signal? It looks like the harnesses have 4 single pole plugs and two double pole. My car is currently wired with all taillights red and all 6 acting as park, brake and signal. It's definitely more noticeable than a single taillight when you brake or signal.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With all the issue's the tail light's,seem's like the best thing is to buy new tail light assembly's.If you want all 3 red tail len's you will have to buy 2 extra red tail light len's .Then you buy the pig tail I pictured and wire them in to the other one's.
Then you will need a heavy duty flasher ,so it won'the flash too fast,unless you have one already. Sound's expensive but if you want all 3 red you will have to do that.

Last edited:

Al T

With all the issue's the tail light's,seem's like the best thing is to buy new tail light assembly's.If you want all 3 red tail len's you will have to buy 2 extra red tail light len's .Then you buy the pig tail I pictured and wire them in to the other one's.
Then you will need a heavy duty flasher ,so it won'the flash too fast,unless you have one already. Sound's expensive but if you want all 3 red you will have to do that.

I wouldn't call them issues..................... I'd call them opportunities for improvement. lol

Al T

So I think I've got the taillight issues resolved. I pulled out all the assemblies, completely disassembled them, sanded down the mounting points between the housing and the bulb receptacle, reassembled with dielectric grease, added two wire plug connectors and built a new rear harness........ and now everything works perfectly. Park, stop and signals. 1 down.

IMG_4727.JPG

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Which color white is that? Not that I know my ermine from snow ball. Just curious.

Al T

I'm really not sure. It is an extremely bright white.............. I call it American Graffiti White. lol
The original color of the car was Silver Gray Metallic with Dover White roof.

Last edited:

Al T

In today's world of distracted driving........... I really like the three brake lights on each side.

2AAAD6B2-3DE1-438E-8044-84B91357D36D_zpsilon3fnc.JPG

Last edited: