Tale of 2 Pontiac's

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I was a young'n we had a neighbor and he had a car, I think it was a pontiac with a hood ornament that lit up. Was that a Pontiac or a Dodge or what? I think I was about 6 years old or so. The hood ornament looked to me like the Pontiac one but it was 60 or 61 years ago.
The Pontiac hood orniment that Ron posted is one that the head of the Indian lights up when the lights are turned on.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yes, the Pontiac Indian did light up on some, we had one, don't remember exactly what year.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'll bet this one was a 52 or 53. Does that sound right? I distinctly remember I thought that was the best thing in my little world. Started the disease that has no cure. I must have 100,000 miles on my knees pushing little metal cars around in the dirt. Before hot wheels there was a co. Named "Leslie matchbox" toys that I just had to have.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yep, that's about right. In the 1950's my Dad owned a tire shop in Mississippi. He made the tires for a dirt track straight 8 Pontiac, we would go to the races to watch the Pontiac race. I was about 7 or 8. I remember Dad with the family Pontiac we would drive to the races and the plastic Indian would light up, maybe when the headlights were on. The old Pontiac dirt car won every time I went to the races, maybe I should have gone more often, Dad had his name on the car promoting his tire recapping business. Tires were very scarce after the war and recapping was very popular.
Great memories.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It would have been a Pontiac,Ray.From what I can remember,the more "deluxe"models had the lighted indian,the cheaper ones were plain metal.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
When I was a young'n we had a neighbor and he had a car, I think it was a pontiac with a hood ornament that lit up. Was that a Pontiac or a Dodge or what? I think I was about 6 years old or so. The hood ornament looked to me like the Pontiac one but it was 60 or 61 years ago.
Ray , My brother in law had a early 50's Pontiac when he was dating my sister and I know that one had a lighted hood ornament.
The Indian Chiefs head hood ornament lit up when the headlamps were turned on.:cool:
:crazy:dance3:flag