Tallest radial tire?

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Which tire manufacturer makes the tallest passenger car radial tire for 14' and 15" rims. I have Hurst pie crust slicks on the 62' and am looking for a standard radial tire.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Which tire manufacturer makes the tallest passenger car radial tire for 14' and 15" rims. I have Hurst pie crust slicks on the 62' and am looking for a standard radial tire.
I just picked up a full set of 4 1956 chevy 15x5 steel rims because unless you want to run trailer tires, there just isn't anything in a 14" that is very tall. UNLESS you want to go to a BIAS LOOKING radial tire they make now. Pricy! You can get just about any size you can dream up with a 15inch rim.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had trouble finding 14 inch tires. I ended up with 215 x 70 x 14 black wall made by Toyo, the biggest they made in 14". They are close to the 8.00 x 14 that it came with.
Thats about 26" tall by 8.5" wide. Way to big for front tires for me.

Junky

Well Known Member
Had to look it up, because I didn't remember exactly how to describe it...

The two-digit number that usually follows the tire's section width tells us the aspect ratio, or tire profile measurement. In this example, the 45 indicates that the sidewall distance, from the wheel rim to the outside of the tread, is 45% of the section width.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm running 165/80 15 skinnies up front and 275/60 15 in the rear. My Fronts are right at 25" tall and the rears are 28.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I'm running 215/70R14 Mastercraft ASIV with 3/4" WSW on 7" repro Wheel Vintique Ralley wheels, so my 62 SS wheel cover still fits. I wish I could find same tire again for my next tire change but Cooper don't make them any more.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3