Tenxal

tenxal

Well Known Member
Back on the dyno. Time to test some 'round about' ways to take some dynamic load off the oil rings while staying within the stringent NHRA rules for Stock Eliminator. I need to find out where the 'bottom' is for oil ring tension....a balance of freeing up parasitic drag from the oil rings while still maintaining adequate oil control:

OgSWULEh.jpg

YvdNaOYh.jpg

Newest version of my quick change cam timing lash up:

OPAcI1Jh.jpg

tenxal

Well Known Member
Made some forward progress on the dyno. As usual, I came away with more questions to be answered or examined later. Now that we've plateaued the power level, the next test will be three different NHRA accepted fuels and we'll call it good.

Like John Wayne said, we'll "Put an Amen to it!"

mZwNBhLl.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Made some forward progress on the dyno. As usual, I came away with more questions to be answered or examined later. Now that we've plateaued the power level, the next test will be three different NHRA accepted fuels and we'll call it good.

Like John Wayne said, we'll "Put an Amen to it!"

mZwNBhLl.jpg
Are you pulling crankcase evacuation off the fuel pump block off plate..... I had never seen that before.......Could’ve saved an expensive set a valve covers that way

tenxal

Well Known Member
Are you pulling crankcase evacuation off the fuel pump block off plate..... I had never seen that before.......Could’ve saved an expensive set a valve covers that way

Well...it's more of an attempt to give the crankcase windage some place else to expand into. We have to run a stock or NHRA accepted replacement oil pan so there's not a lot of expansion room in the pan. This makes the pan 'think' it's bigger. There's a lot going on in the fuel pump area and that took some tweaking to get it right. Monitoring the crank case pressure (the large gauge) gave some direction on what it wanted.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Well...it's more of an attempt to give the crankcase windage some place else to expand into. We have to run a stock or NHRA accepted replacement oil pan so there's not a lot of expansion room in the pan. This makes the pan 'think' it's bigger. There's a lot going on in the fuel pump area and that took some tweaking to get it right. Monitoring the crank case pressure (the large gauge) gave some direction on what it wanted.
Thank you

tenxal

Well Known Member
At Tri State Dragway in Earlville, Iowa this weekend, we achieved a significant goal with the car.

It was actually a 'double-up' on two goals. With the NHRA National Index for G/SA being 12.00, any run in the 10's would both get it into the '1 Second Under' club while at the same time breaking into the 10's.

The weather was pretty decent but the DA was rising quickly before the first pass. The car left smoothly, carried the front end out quite a ways, and really ran hard to 1/8th. In high gear, I knew it was on a good one when the tach was at 7,400 about 50 feet before the finish line.

The time slip read 10.955 @ 119.53.
smile.gif
Good enough for #5 on the qualifying sheet.

The next run was a 10.947 followed by a 10.964 and a 10.969 before I went out in the second round (126 cars).

3bYO6Akl.jpg

PGOnBrIl.jpg