Terry Prince 1963 Chevrolet Impala Z11 for sale on BaT

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
so if it is a QM block, does the Flint vin number match up with a flint built known Z11?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Below is per the listing on bat.
"The engine pad is stamped with T0117QM, corresponding with a Z11-specification 427ci engine built on January 17 at the Towanda assembly plant, as well as a non-matching VIN derivative."
Jeff

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Below is per the listing on bat.
"The engine pad is stamped with T0117QM, corresponding with a Z11-specification 427ci engine built on January 17 at the Towanda assembly plant, as well as a non-matching VIN derivative."
Jeff
Jeff, that is why I asked the question. So at some point someone stamped an incorrect Flint Vin ? or is that a Flint block with a restamp of a QM code build date?

Quik9r

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wonder what happened to the original engine?
I'm sure it is like most of the original engines. TOAST! People did not buy these for the family car or to drive to work. They bought them to abuse! Not against racing, just a colorful choice of words. What do they say, "drive it like you stole it"!
The only parts available were what the factory offered and they had pitfalls so therefore a lot of engines/parts were destroyed. When that happened the parts were probably tossed. Back then who would of thought a Z11 head, cracked but otherwise good would be worth 5/8K??? today.
So if the engine in the car is a true QM block with a vin, one would think there was a car it came in with that same vin. I would speculate if someone ordered a replacement Z11 short block it could have been stamped QM but no vin. From what I have heard mention of Z11 cars an engine build date of January 17 seems a little late, since that would make the car build a week or??? later.
Jeff