tha #'s ?

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How do you tell by the stampings the difference between the 3830814 casting numbered blocks when it came to 409 or 427 ? :?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409 or 427?

The 427 blocks had the deck stamping of QM. The blocks were the same, other than that. Not sure what the mystery motor was stamped, or even if it was stamped. I've been told it was a completely different block.

Fred

M

MK IISS

Mk II

"I was able to start with a clean sheet of paper. Displacement remained at 409ci. Virtually the only dimensions retained from the W-engine were the bore centers of 4.48 in. and the crankshaft-center-to-camshaft-center distance."

D. Keinath

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Block markings

The 427 referred to was the Z-11 427. Still the 409 style block. Was stroked to get 427". From 3.5 to 3.65. The 814 block would not be a mystery motor block. The deck stampings on the block at the right front would tell what it was. QB was a dual 4bbl engine, QA was 1 4 bbl 400 HP. The 427 Z-11 block was stamped QM. There were others, but these give you an idea how they marked them.

Fred

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think there was about 17,000 409s built in 63 with that casting number. There was also about 50 Z-11 427s made with the same castings. The odds are it'll be a 409. I don't think there was any differences you could look for, except for the deck stampings like Fred said. They had two bolt mains just like a regular 409 and I don't think there would have been any extra machining needed for the extra stroke.

The mystery motor had the same timing cover, oil pan and fuel pump, except for the 90 degree head bank it was the same as the 409. The crank and rods were the same as the 427 engine used in the Z-11 package.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
bignbad60, The guy selling the block also has the crankshaft for sale in a seperate auction. 409 crankshaft

M

MK IISS

bignbad: the block on ebay has a "QG" suffix code which I believe is a 340 horse 409.