The bead roller of awesomeness!

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it's finally done! It works great too!

I call it, the "Bead roller of Awesomeness!" lol

DSCN6509.jpg

Harbor Freight bead roller modifications:

• 2' X 2' X 1/4" angle iron added top and bottom to stiffen main body of roller assembly
  • Spreader bar that mounts between slot to hold top & bottom from moving (from video)
  • Adjustable fence that can be moved all the way up to the rollers (from video)
  • Top roller modified so it moves in/out which allows for more custom settings (from video)
  • Custom crank added with a 4 speed truck shifter knob to replace the bolt that this had.
  • Spring added to top roller so it automatically lifts when you loosen the crank handle.
  • Grease fittings installed in all 4 roller blocks.
  • Mounted on a thick 2-3/8" pipe that is bolted to an 11 inch flywheel.
  • 3 position foot rest with custom "gas pedal" hinged diamond plate floor behind it. Pressing on the floor section allows you to operate the machines variable speed while standing at the left, center or right side of bead dies. Variable speed is smooth from a crawl to full out!
  • Custom hand made chain guard with fine mesh insert allows viewing of all the moving parts.
  • Chain tensioner keeps the chain lightly snug so no adjustments are ever needed.
Finish colors are Rustoleum "Sail Blue" and Rustoleum "Hammered Gray."

Power/drivetrain specs:

• Harbor Freight 1/2" variable speed reversible drill provides gobs of power/torque and forward/backward rotation.
  • Assorted parts canabalized from an old Craftsman snow blower including; 11:1 auger transmission, (2) #40 chains put together, 8 tooth drive sprocket, 35 tooth driven sprocket & chain tensioner.
  • Custom throttle linkage is moved by a 1/8" wire cable (Lowes) that runs through a piece of 5/16" brake line tubing down to the moveable hinged diamond plate floor which is the throttle pedal. (turn buckle allows for those fine adjustments) Designed to be comfortable and functions very smoothly from a 0 to full speed.
DSCN6506.jpg DSCN6507.jpg DSCN6508.jpg DSCN6510.jpg DSCN6511.jpg DSCN6512.jpg DSCN6514.jpg DSCN6515.jpg DSCN6517.jpg

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Did it start out as a bead roller, Bob? I mean was it a Harbor Freight or some other manual one?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Good Job, Bob.:clap:clap:clap Having Tools that work, and do a good job is important.:appl Having tools that are home made, better yet.:bow

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you out did yourself on this one, awesome work. I'm wondering how many beads do you envison yourself rolling?

bobs409

Administrator
There are so many things you can do with these. Just the dies included do 3 sizes of beads, 3 sizes of flanges and a set of sheering cutters. So many other custom dies out there but I'll probably just make my own on the new lathe.Watching metal working video's on you tube is in my blood lately. I don't even watch movies anymore! :D

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I can't believe what I am seeing, you actually put a safety guard over the chains, that is sacrilegious, nothing for the sleeve of the flannelette shirt to get caught in !! :roll:roll:roll:roll

Seriously, nice work, you have just inspired me. :clap:clap:clap:clap

bobs409

Administrator
I can't believe what I am seeing, you actually put a safety guard over the chains, that is sacrilegious, nothing for the sleeve of the flannelette shirt to get caught in !! :roll:roll:roll:roll

Seriously, nice work, you have just inspired me. :clap:clap:clap:clap

Sorry, I'll be sure to wear a long tie when I'm running the lathe to make up for it. :scared :laugh

bobs409

Administrator
Had a small task to perform that bead rollers live for. A rotted section of my truck box had an interesting shape to replicate. Came out really good and this was my first take!

I mis-matched a flange die and a female 1/2" bead die and used the moveable upper shaft option to create it. Watching all those you-tube video's are paying off now! :winner :D

DSCN6527.jpg DSCN6528.jpg DSCN6529.jpg DSCN6530.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You have very clean hands Bob.
Can you post a pic of your shoes?:laugh
Nice work on the patch by the way.
Did you have to hammer the point at the end as I wouldn't think the dies would get that close to the swage?

Steve