The Bookends Project

Richard Fox

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
SHE IS HOT! :sos

Getting ready for another season, pulled the 409/Chevy II down from the rack and she growled right back up. Engine heat is my enemy because of the build. Who puts a hot 409 in a 65 Chevy II/Nova? Me. After last years great runs down the strip I know the drive train can take it but she still is running way hot.

Have it correctly jetted for the Reno altitude, timing, etc. both 4 barrel carbs settings are good. But due to engine clearance issues I can't put a big radiator in her. And have had to run without hood due to lack of heat dissipation. Reno is 4500', low humidity and during summer gets as hot as a butt after eating ghost peppers.

Thinking of:

Pulling thermostat out completely and/or running restrictors (only run it during summer and there is no heater core).
I have the feeling the water pump is pushing the coolant too fast through radiator to transfer heat.
Putting large enough louvers in hood big enough to help vent heat out during idle/slow speed.
The Chassisworks engine solid side compartments need cutouts (maybe with fans) to help push hot air out.
We will be trying to squeeze in another after market radiator with pulling zoomie electric fans within a shroud.

I run just distilled water with a wetter agent.

I have a 5 lb of engine in a 4 lb engine compartment and need help from the 348/409 team on ideas that would help cool this beast down. :bow

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A couple of things and I could be all wet (no pun intended)

I doubt that the pump is too fast, more likely too slow. I like to run a smaller pulley on the pump to accomplish this. Also helps BBCs sometimes. I have often wondered if an electric pump correctly configured could work even better??

Venting those inner fenders any way you can should help too.

Just my .02 Great car BTW.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
SHE IS HOT! :sos

Getting ready for another season, pulled the 409/Chevy II down from the rack and she growled right back up. Engine heat is my enemy because of the build. Who puts a hot 409 in a 65 Chevy II/Nova? Me.
A....Well.....Dave Mills runs a World Products 540 in his 65/Chevy II . Runs in the 8's. Never heard him complaining about overheating???

Last edited: