The Christening of the LAZY-S

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wanted to share with you guys something that is very dear to me. As some of you may or may not know I also collect old boats and have done so my entire life. As a young boy of three years my dad got me involved in sailing. During my grade school years I raced El Toro's http://www.eltoroyra.org/ Then Graduated to the Universal 14' its kind of like the C 15 http://www.coronado15.org/ Then in February 1968 my dad passed away. We moved from Tacoma Washington to Port Orchard Washington in 1970. I was thirteen and my love for boating was still very strong. I started the 7th grade in the fall of 1969 in Port Orchard and I met a boy name by the name of Terry Barkhurst. He raced the little outboard runabouts and hydros. This is were my love of power boating began. Now I was racing the little out boards and havering the time of my life. In 1972 I started high school at South Kitsap in Port Orchard and met my best friend Mike Suldan. Both Terry, Mike and I are still paling around some forty years later. Anyway I graduated to the larger boats and one of the first I purchased was a 1928 28' Garwood. This was in 1982. The video I am posting is what the boat looked like when I owned it in the 80's-90-s. There is a bit of history as well. I hope this is not to long for you guys. Thanks Dan

Here is some old and new footage of the TOY-YOT / LAZY-S. This boat was purchased in Coeurdalene, Idaho after WW ll about 49'-50' by Don Bancroft. Don was another dad of one of my high school buddies. Don and his brother in law were on a hunting trip and saw it sitting on a trailer along side the road with a for sale sign. Don bought the boat and brought if back to Port Orchard, WA. It is a 1928 Garwood 28'. It had a small cabin on it that was not original to the boat. The cabin had been added some time before Don bought the boat. Between the engine beds sat a liberty V-12 engine that was a WW I surplus aircraft engine that Kermath did the marine conversion on. The name of the boat was the Lazy-S. Don renamed the boat to the Hoot the nickname of his wife Hertha. Some time in the late 50's early 60's Don sold the boat. It passed through a few more hands and finally ended up in the possession of Emery Austin. Emery was a tug boat skipper. The Liberty engine had been removed at some point and Emery had a 312 ci. Y-block Ford in the boat. I believe it was Emery Austin that renamed the boat TOY-YOT. Emery sold the boat to Burt Connel. More years went by and the old TOY-YOT was looking pretty derelict. Bert had the boat moored at Suldan's Boat Works. Greg Suldan worked for his Dad Byron at the boat works and wanted that old boat. Greg at the time was sixteen years old. The year was 1967. Emery wanted 600.00 for the boat. Greg talked with his dad Byron Suldan who also owned Suldan Boat Works in Port Orchard,WA.

Byran was raised in Bremerton, WA. and was a veteran of the Navy who served on the Hornet and was transfered to the Enterprise two weeks before the Hornet was sunk by the Japanese. Byron served out the rest of the war on the Enterprise and was in all of the battles in the Pacific.

Byron thought that the TOY-YOT was a bit more of a project than Greg could handle as it had a rotten cabin and needed a lot of work. Byron bought the boat himself and put a new cabin on it and also re-powered her with a new 427 Ford. The TOY-YOT was used as the family boat. It had many trips to the San Juan Islands and Canada with the Suldan family aboard Byron, Mable, Greg, Mark, Mike and Eric. In 1971 Byron purchased a new boat. It was a 1957 Hunter 38' and the old Garwood was once again set aside. Byron did not sell the TOY-YOT but kept it moored at his marina for the boys to use. With four boys they all got to use it growing up. I was friends with the boys and was along on many of the outings in the old girl. Well as the four Suldan boys grew up they purchased their own boats and the old TOY-YOT was starting to look pretty derelict once again. In 1982 I purchase the boat for 4500.00 and that was a lot of money for a old derelict that need work. The engine was in need of some repair. It needed new pistons and at the time the pistons were not available so, I bought a 390 and rebuilt it and used the top half of the 427 on the 390. I refinished the boat and found the old hardware that would have been correct for the era. I had all the chrome redone, varnished and painted everything back to new. She was a real thing of beauty once again. Then as life goes on I got married and the TOY-YOT was once again sold in 1990 to Steve Sauer. Steve did basically no maintenance and, in the nine years that he had her she really went down hill. Steve decided it was time to sell the old girl. Greg once again had a hankerin to own the TOY-YOT and he stepped up to the plate in 1999. Greg had a little Sea Swirl runabout that he traded it straight across for the TOY-YOT. The TOY-YOY had come home and this time to stay. In the next eleven years Greg pulled the old 390 and replaced it with a 534ci Ford and restored the old girl back to what she would have looked like in 1928. Painted the old name LAZY-S back on the transom but added a little flare to reflect her history as a rum runner during the prohibition years by adding some small case letters after the S. So she now reads LAZY-Scoundrel with a gangster and his Tommy gun below. Here are the results and the christening of a very dear friend. Dan Stotsenberg August 22, 2010.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:cool::cool:
Too bad you don't have that original Liberty engine. That would be super-cool.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes it would. I have a friend that does have one in a 30' Hacker Craft race boat.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is a good picture of the Garwood.

Attachments

• Lazy S.jpg
    Lazy S.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 34

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My dad goes nuts for these style of boats.

We just never had anything like them over in Oz.

So much so, he is currently in the middle of building himself one. From the ground up!

The crazy old bugger! :crazy:crazy

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Oddly enough, I may know where to get the V-12!

Guy I know has a W.W. 1 aircraft V-12 sitting on a stand in his office, as decor.
Not sure of the model, but looks cool as all get out!

His company rebuilds aircraft engines and maintains a fleet of fire bombers.
They also restore a few vintage aircraft.

My understanding is that this engine has been rebuilt, but is not expected to ever fly again, no airframe for it.

Some people claim "Everything is for sale", should I ask? :dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Guy I know has a W.W. 1 aircraft V-12 sitting on a stand in his office, as decor.
Not sure of the model, but looks cool as all get out!

His company rebuilds aircraft engines and maintains a fleet of fire bombers.
They also restore a few vintage aircraft.

My understanding is that this engine has been rebuilt, but is not expected to ever fly again, no airframe for it.

Some people claim "Everything is for sale", should I ask? :dunno

Would that be Dennis Buehn?

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Minden Air Corp, not sure of the owners name.

They are working on interesting projects.

"US aerial firefighting operator Minden Air is evaluating the BAe 146-100 airliner as a replacement for its Lockheed P-2 Neptune air tankers, which are among ex-military aircraft that have been grounded because of airworthiness concerns.

Working with BAE Systems, the Minden, Nevada-based operator planned to begin evaluation flights last week of an unmodified BAe 146-100 owned by a private individual in Canada. "If the evaluation is a success, we will probably acquire the aircraft," says chief executive Leonard Parker".

This is taking longer than hoped, but is an active project.

Here are some pics of one of their current fire bombers.
http://p2vneptune.com/f05.shtml

They have done some machine work for me before I got my own equipment, lots of what they do requires making the parts.