"The" Homewrecker

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That sucks Dan. I saw those plastic seat covers and wondered if those were the original seat covers. Reminds me of the 55 Pontiac i had, it had that same style of covers and the original seats.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah, that's a drag alright.:grumble
I'll bet a good shop can get it straight again pretty quickly though. :beer
I guess there's more stress than you might think on a hard launch. I'm sure you'll make it plenty rigid with the changes you're thinking about.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well we went out and twisted it some more. Had our best 60 foot and ET. 1.53 60 ft with 11.230 ET. I do know a top notch frame guy. Here are a few pics from Saturday and a video of the best run. You can see how much I have to turn the wheel on the launch do to it being twisted. <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U824if08N5g?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> IMG (6).jpgIMG_0001 (4).jpgIMG_0002 (2).jpg

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Dan, That's some great times :clap What kinda rear are running a spool or trutrack?

de31168

Well Known Member
That's a tough break about the chassis twist. I'm sorry to hear that! You guys really have that thing flying. It's a shame we couldn't get lined up together back at the Yenko thing at Joliet. That would have been a good photo op.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Who's your DADDY:bow:dancecOOl video............hammer them gears like a rented mule...............:crazy You ain't pushing the limit unless your breaking stuff>>>>>>>>>>>>>:cheers

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's a tough break about the chassis twist. I'm sorry to hear that! You guys really have that thing flying. It's a shame we couldn't get lined up together back at the Yenko thing at Joliet. That would have been a good photo op.
You should consider joining the Midwest Gassers. We run at Union Grove something like 9 or 10 times a year. Cost 100 bucks to join and you and a crew member get to race at all the events for free. Its a great deal.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Who's your DADDY:bow:dancecOOl video............hammer them gears like a rented mule...............:crazy You ain't pushing the limit unless your breaking stuff>>>>>>>>>>>>>:cheers
Nooo! I don't want to break stuff. That's expensive! :laugh Going to bring it up to my frame guy and while its there Alston race cars is right down the street so probably have them come over and give an opinion and what needs to be done stiffening wise. Thanks for all the compliments everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

de31168

Well Known Member
You should consider joining the Midwest Gassers. We run at Union Grove something like 9 or 10 times a year. Cost 100 bucks to join and you and a crew member get to race at all the events for free. Its a great deal.

Interesting. I went to check out their website but it expired yesterday haha. I'd be interested in it.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Basically it is an exhibition type deal. You get paired up with some one who runs a similar time. You get a few hours for test and tune and then usually run 3 times as part of the show. They run one Saturday a month as part of the nitrous street car brawls plus special events such as Memorial Day and Labor Day. If you only go twice you are already saving money. The group has everything from cars like ours to gassers, street cars and modern 8 second door cars. If they have enough cars show they split it into a nostalgia group and a other type group. I think last Labor Day the Midwest Gassers had over 60 cars so it is quite a mix. The guy in charge is Bob Lehor. His email is bobmidwestgassers@sbcglobal.net This Saturday is the last race of the year. Come check it out.

de31168

Well Known Member
That is pretty awesome. I bet we'd put on a great show with matching Belairs and both as 409 4-speed cars. I'll certainly check it out. I'd love to come this saturday but i'm already scheduleded down in indy to drive a nascar car. I agree that you save $$ even if you only go twice. Is this at Great Lakes only or do they race other events?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It is strictly a Great Lakes deal. Yeah it would be a great show if we were somewhat even. Only a couple stick cars in the group. What are you running for times?

de31168

Well Known Member
Went out saturday to No Limit Raceway - U.S. 41 Dragstrip and got the car down to 11.004. Just missed that darn 10 second pass. I even got to make a pass in the car and ran 11.07. That was a blast! I hadn't ever driven anything like that before. Our best 60 ft time so far has been 1.52 on an aborted run in Joliet, the 11.00 was a 1.54. I think it may run a little quicker still, but you guys are definitely right there and seem to be gaining every time you go out!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think we are fast approaching the limit. The plan is to bump the compression from 10:1 to 13:1 this winter. At least I hope. I would of been so ticked to be so close to a 10 second pass. The track would of had to kick me out or I would of stayed all night trying!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went out for the last time this year this past weekend. Backed up our previous best with a 1.54 60 leaving at 6k and 11.30 ET. Little slower but there was a 20 mph side wind. Tightened up the shocks on the last run and with the 20 mph wind and the car being bent up it got way out of shape on the big end. No sense in going back out this year. Have a lot more thoughts for next year than money, but at the minimum we'll get the frame straight hopefully this weekend and then to the chassis shop. Next will be the short block and fuel system. Would like to go with Walla's heads but just not in the cards. Maybe a little home porting on the 690s. Would love to have a better intake so if anybody is selling one of those 881s reworked by Day Automotive or other let me know.