"The" Homewrecker

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last posts I made in this project journal were erased so I'm starting again. Long story short, last year was the first time out. Very inconsistent. 60 foot was in the 1.59 to 1.78 range. It sucked. Threw the kitchen sink at it with no luck. Over the winter, had the clutch rebuilt and added 9 grams of counter weight on each finger of the McLeod Soft Lok clutch. Lowered the rear of the car because it had a rake to it with the 10x29 slicks which we HATED. Swapped from 275# springs to AFCO 175# and also urethane bushings and Calvert 90/10 front shocks. Lengthened I/C from about 43 inches to 64 inches long. Also ditched the 10" D05 compound tire in favor of 9" D07. First time off the trailer made 5 runs and 60 ft started at 1.56 and ended at 1.62. The 60 ft getting a little slower was just the clutch seating itself and starting to turn the tires a little. Going back Friday night at Great Lakes Dragaway 6/03/11. Took one turn out of the clutch and also replaced the 89 jets in the secondaries to 86. Also adding 1 more click of bump to the rear shocks. Hoping to break into the 11.40s. Had 89s the last time out but within a few minutes of pulling it off the trailer one of the needle and seats started to leak so it was probably richer than when we had the 95 jets in it. Just going to be doing a bunch of testing so we don't embarrass ourselves at the Hunnert Car Heads Up on June 11th. Anyone in the area should come out. Nothing newer than 65 allowed in the gate. The cars that is. Not the people:)

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 125

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well that sucked. 1st run spun the tires. Not unexpected as I only took one round out of the clutch since last time and track was not prepped as well( a lot of street tire cars tearing it up). Bigger problem is went to 86 jets in the secondaries and it fell on its face in first, picked up, but was weak on the top end. MPH was way off. So 86s are way too lean. Didn't bring jets with:doh so made a second run to confirm what was happening and put it on the trailer. Will be out this coming week again. Got to get it right by the 11th because that is the first actual show and don't want to embarrass myself.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went to the Hunnert Car Pileup and had a Great time! Made it to the semi-finals in the super stock class. Also ran our best E.T. to date with a 11.49. Couldn't do any testing though as this is a throw back event and they only give hand written time slips with e.t. and mph. No 60 foot times so there was no point in tuning plus a lot street tire cars tearing the starting line up. It is a heads up event and you run who ever you line up behind in the staging lanes in your class.. I was lucky in who I ran against. Got beat by a Mopar running 10.50. Again the attention the car gets was incredible. You seriously couldn't open the door without getting in some ones way taking a picture. We were the only 409 there and the only stick shift car driven like its supposed to be. Every body just slow shifted theirs, not come out of the whole at 5800 and bang all the gears. The crowd loved it!!!!!!! It was flag starts and and in the semi final neither the Mopar nor I waited for him. As soon as both cars staged we were gone! Hilarious! He is some in car video for your enjoyment. The second video something was on the track and it spun and turned on the 3 to 4 shift. Enjoy!
http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx232/dhradisky75yahoocom/63 video/?action=view&current=038.mp4

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great stuff Dan, cool vid :clap The timing issue/solution you had seems to be headed in the right direction with 11.40's :beer

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil, good comment. I asked Marianne (that lady that's lived with me for 48 years) if she wanted to ride in an 11:40's 409 and she said "sure"! So she watched the video with me. Guess what she had to say? At the end of the run she says, "Look, he's adjusting his mirror". That's coming from the lady that on occasion would bang the gears down the track in my racing '60 back in the day. I think I'm going to have to fire her a$$!! Nice run Ishiftem!!

Lonnie :cuss:bang

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks! I must of watched these videos 50 times and I was the one driving! I need to adjust the camera a little so the clutch and shift action shows up. I also noticed the second video didn't load so here it is! I still get a laugh out seeing the guy start to flag us after we are already going past him:laugh I gotta say I'm having a blast and its even more fun to share with a bunch of fellow enthusiasts as yourselves:beer So without delay here you go http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx232/dhradisky75yahoocom/63 video/?action=view&current=039.mp4

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The COOL thing is, It's not just another mouse or rat under the hood..............................it's a 409 man :beer

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ishiftem, I imagine that 3-4 squiggley put a little jump-start on your heart. I know it would have on mine! Good save.

Lonnie :beer

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That grabbed my attention in a hurry! Even back in the pits people were coming up and saying how scary it looked. Now if we can go 11.30's like Carl, I'll be a happy camper.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll say that you will probably make it, but sometimes that last tenth is hard to come by!!

Lonnie :)

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ain't that the truth. Might just have to go with 13:1s and some head work this winter and go straight for 10s. There is a certain Mopar I want to put on the trailer next year:cool:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just an update. Still haven't been able to go faster than 11.49 at 117 and some small change. Usually 11.54 on average. 60 ft times are right at 1.60 on average with a best of 1.57. We tried richening the primaries to 89 with the 52 rod and 95 secondaries but there was no change. We put in a 160 thermostat so we will see what that does next time out. Right now we have a 180 and it never goes above 185. I am trying to post another in car but it is taking forever to download:mad By the way, come out to Byron Illinois this Saturday if you are in the area. We will be there at the Melt Down Nostalgia Drags!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Fwiw,we usually leave the starting line @ 140 degrees in bracket racing with our small blocks.Might be worth a few hundredths .