The Impala Shop

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Cecil
Im closer then Brian:roll
only 50 miles nw of Austin

you can spend the night and I will spring for the meals and refershments:cool::cool:

just bring one or two cars for me to work on:pray

brians got too many irons in the fire :?

roger

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil
Im closer then Brian:roll
only 50 miles nw of Austin

you can spend the night and I will spring for the meals and refershments:cool::cool:

just bring one or two cars for me to work on:pray

brians got too many irons in the fire :?

roger

Thanks for the offer, Roger. I'll be staying with one of my cousins in Austin.
Can't really bring any cars this trip, not enough room.:coffee:

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Good Job

Great job Brian, sign looks great!

Cecil, if you have time, stop by on The way to see Brian, a little out of the way, but not much. Just come up HWY 281 from Austin.:cool:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

oz07

New Shop

Looks really good. You will have a waiting list in no time. Around here even a cuople of years ago when economy was at it's worst a small shop kept his waiting list (I know because I was on it :-) becasue he's really good and passionate about what he does - you'll do great. Not easy finding a quality, honest shop sometimes.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Update on the shop. Well, I FINALLY found a lift that will lift an X-Frame car from the frame and not the pinch welds. I broke down and ended up buying a brand new Challenger CL10V3 2-post lift. A special thank you to Scott Hall for everything. I wouldn't have found it without him! Had it installed today and the first car (Jerry's 62) is already in the air! A few hours of work on it to change the convertor and make some internal modifications and it comes down and the next car (62 Bel-Air 409/4 spd Pro Street build) goes in the stall and the body gets lifted off the frame to prep and paint the firewall. A few days later the next car (61 vert from the owner of another shop) will go in for a 1-piece front and rear floor pan, rear trunk pan and full quarters.

Sorry I don't have any pics right now, been super busy working late hours. I will get some by this weekend though!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Brain.............don't you love those hours being self-employed?????:beer:clap:bang:roll:dunno:D

I saw the lift that Scott has on Sunday on the way home. Looks great!!!!

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Glad it all worked out for you Brian. Missed you at Thompson but gotta get the work out. As far as Phil I think he's slipping. Not that I have anything worth looking at but he was pretty calm. Didn't even want to look at the Sample block on the shelf in a bag. And yes both hands were empty when he walked to his scooter. I really enjoyed having Phil and Candy stop by. Had a great wkend with everyone that was able to make thompson. Looking forward to next year. Scott

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like you've hit the ground running with The Impala Shop.:beer
We missed you and the rest of the guys from Texas at Thompson but it's a long haul, things really have to fall into place to make such a trip.
Try to get pictures of some of the cars you work on then post a few when things settle down a bit.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
A few days later the next car (61 vert from the owner of another shop) will go in for a 1-piece front and rear floor pan, rear trunk pan and full quarters.

Full quarters for a 61???????????????????????? Where do you find those??????????????:dunno
:dunno Inquiring minds would like to know!!!!

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys. I promise to post pics this weekend.

Well, most of you know how my luck is and well it's starting again! Yep, that brand new lift that set me back quite a bit more than I wanted to spend won't lift a car. That's right. I have a brand new lift that I can't even use! Well, it will ift a car if I run the lift up and down for 3 cycles and then put the arms under the car. But I really don't want to take any chances on dropping a customer car because of a fualty lift. Had the lift guys out this morning and they found all kinds of metal shavings in the pump. Challenger is supposed to next day a pump to me so I should have it up and running by noon tomorrow. We'll see how that works out.

Another thing...I bought a used A/C machine to take some of the manual process away so I could do other things while it is charging the system. Well, I finally got to use it and guess what....Yep, it has problems. Had Snap-On repair out today and it needs a software update to be able to calibrate the purge transducer (error code 17). I have 1.20 and I need at least 1.21.... $1200.00 just to get the update....if they even still have them. Yeah, I think a nervous breakdown is on it's way!
It is an older Sun MRC-400 that was updated in 2001 and converted over to R-134, but not completely. They changed over all the hard parts, but not the software. Come to find out, it is only a few dip switch setting to complete the changeover so he did it for me. It changed the freon display from R-12 to R-134 but also changed the pressure values in the computer as well. Good thing about this is the guy was there for about 5 hours today and didn't charge me a dime and wouldn't take any money from me. He also said that he probably has another board at his house with a newer software revision and when he unpacks that box from moving he will bring it to me next week. Yay!!!! If not, I will push it to the side and continue doing it the old way and look for another machine in the future.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Full quarters for a 61???????????????????????? Where do you find those??????????????:dunno
:dunno Inquiring minds would like to know!!!!
Phil it is good to hear that you are getting started on my 61 in front of the shop. I had better plan on a Texas trip to get a 409 motor for it down to ronnies.
Robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here are a couple pics I have on my iPhone. and a few from people that have posted up on Facebook.

221363_1630091284184_1593686880_31229014_4570690_o.jpg

215599_1651638857422_1430530995_1342069_2760812_n.jpg

242952_152805208123314_100001815075836_295748_6669645_o.jpg

240968_1732713805563_1470062867_31553042_654578_o.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You're gonna need a bigger shop.
Looks like you've got the low-rider business already. You could open up another shop out here and add some of those teeny rubber band tires to your product line.:D