The Trim Polishing thread

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My experience with stripping anodizing is the brand name Easy Off in the blue can works the best (works on paint too). Secret is as was said before, don't leave it on too long, so go with 15 minutes soak to start, then wash completely with soap and water. Repeat until you like what you see.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Use aluminum wool not steel wool. Steel wool can leave small metal fibers in the aluminum which can make little rust spots. Also the aluminum wool leaves a fine coating of aluminum.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
this thread has great timing...I'm getting ready to pull the headlight bezels and buff them out...any thoughts on where they sell aluminum wool...I'm familiar with steel, stainless, and bronze wool but not aluminium wool...

bobs409

Administrator

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks bob, a buddy suggested to get it from ebay...seems they have all kinds of wools...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Go to your local tool and die shop and get a few big hand full of aluminum turnings from there lathe.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll be more than happy to post up pics on how it goes...just got my gears and posi chunk so that may delay the polishing of the bezels...boys and their toys yanno...

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I taped over the swirl inserts and sprayed with Easy Off "yellow can" and left for 15 minutes. Some came off and looks shiny underneath but the majority just turned really white milky looking like oxidation film. Is this whats supposed to happen? Maybe my yellow can is not strong enough? Or is it ok to polish now?

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I didn't have any luck with Easy Off. I used the black jug of Hair and Grease Drain Cleaner from Home Depot. Yes, most of mine turned white after the soak. I then hit it with steel wool and Mothers and then a final time with the buffing wheel. I also ruined a headlight bezel because the wheel snagged it and bent the heck out of it.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Try and polish it. If the anodizing is still present, it won't happen and needs to get more time in the remover.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well. I had bad luck and let 1 piece sit a little too long without properly protecting the swirled insert. The result was it completely removed the swirl from the insert! How the hell does that happen? It's now a bare spot of shiny aluminum. I thought these were etched, its almost as if my inserts were tape and it removed the detail. "They certainly aren't tape" Im thinking of ditching the easy-off method and sanding the coating off with 2500 sand paper.. would that work?

ragtp66

Well Known Member
For long thin pieces of trim you can zip tie them to a 1x2 so the buffer doesn't get a hold of them and turn them into a pretzel might have to re position the ties but for delicate trim it works. I would also say if its your first time polishing grab some trim off a parts car or a junkyard trip it doesnt even have to be correct for your car just something to practice on until you get the hang of polishing. If you wreck a practice piece no big deal. two other suggestions a GOOD pair of leather gloves and last make sure the buffer is not facing your car if something does get ripped out of your hands at least it wont get shot at the side of your freshly painted hot rod. Especially when doing something small like the heads of bumper bolts, had one get flung right through the drywall. LOL:rub:rub