The Unveiling Is On The Way

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Some of you know the story of Dad's Chevy. I'll boldly share some of it again now only because I am excited about showing it to my dad for the first time. I have the whole story posted under my profile, but in a nutshell he had a 60 Impala convertible before he married my mom and he had to sell it when they got married. He has talked about that car my whole life and without pictures I know exactly what it looked like and what options it had. Well, I found the exact twin to his car right down to the paint and options and brought it home from California to the east coast for a full restoration. As it sits now, if you took a finished show car and pulled the body off that is what I have, but I took it a step or two further and the blasted, primed, and repaneled body tub is off of the rotisseri and back on the chassis. I test ran the 348 for break-in and it runs perfectly in my opinion, and the clutch linkage, steering column, emergency brake, and front seat are all installed so that the car can be moved around when I transport it. I am moving back home to PA from NJ to be closer to family this summer and from here on out my dad (he doesn't know it yet) will help me to finish the car in my new shop in PA. He hasn't seen the car yet and knows nothing about what I have done. The "unveiling" will be the first weekend in May when he comes out from PA to visit and this time I will NOT be hiding the car from him. I wish that I could have had the time to finish it first and surprise him with the car in his garage, but actually finishing the car with my dad will be even better. I plan to ban him from the shop when the body is blocked and ready for paint, and then only let him see the car again when it is done. Am I nervous? Yes. I have been working on it since June of 07 in between long hours at my regular job and helping some friends with a custom truck project that we finished along the way that won a 3rd place at the Detroit Autorama 2 years in a row. Finishing this car for my dad means more to me than anything, and I can't wait for this month to be over so that he can see it and I can show him all of the before/after progress pics. Even without the final paint I can't belive it is finally happening. Thanks for reading.

Doc
-------------
1960 Impala Convertible, 348-4bbl
Was a PG but now a Muncie 4spd (like he put into his car)
Posi rear, 3.70:1
PB, PS
Wide Whites, Spinner hubcaps
Stainless dual exhaust
White power top
Bumperettes
Upgraded with slotted and cross-drilled front disc brakes
Stainless brake and fuel lines
All new floors, braces, rockers, quarters panels, and misc panel repairs
Everything is new or rebuilt (truely no expense spared)

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Doc..... we're all there with you !!! It's been said before but "GREAT JOB"

Dave

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I still think your story is AMAZING! I don't think that there is a wrong way of doing this. Finishing the car with your dad will be incredible for both of you. Finished or unfinished, either way, your dad will be proud of his son and will truly enjoy this with you. great job.

:cheers

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Go for it Doc,great plan.He is going to be the happiest man in this world.I'm sure there will many happy tears that day.My hat is off to you!!!!I only wished my Dad were still on this earth to be able to enjoy my 64' Chevy with me,this is a car he went to co-sign with me when I was 17 years old.A car he drove occasionally,talked about constantly and later became the care taker of for almost 10 years. John

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I still think your story is AMAZING! I don't think that there is a wrong way of doing this. Finishing the car with your dad will be incredible for both of you. Finished or unfinished, either way, your dad will be proud of his son and will truly enjoy this with you. great job.

Could not have said it better. Going to be a great time.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We are all waiting and I think a little nervous along with you Doc. Can hardly wait for the unvailing and results my self . Keep us posted and good luck:beerbang. Ken

60Impala4Dad

Well Known Member
Thanks everyone. I post here to share and also for the boost of confidence that I get from hearing from you guys. Its great to be a part of the group, and to help some people out once in a while with some technical suggestions or comments of my own. I have to say that I am definitly proud of what I was able to do on my own so far. No regrets.

I'll be taking some pics that weekend in May, and will post as soon as I can after that. Thanks again for the support guys.

Doc

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I think finishing the project with your dad will be good for both of you. I am sure he will love it.