The way we were Pt.2

sexybabyjamie

Please read The Way We Were Pt 1 before reading this.
OK everybody are we finished with our wee wee break? Lets go. HEY, HEY, I don't care who rides shot gun. Whats that? Can we cruse the back row of the our favorite drive inn, the Country Kitchen and wave at all of our friends. HUMMM! Since this a joy ride back in time, why not, on one condition, I get to ride shotgun, Dean you have to sit in the middle, and Fred has to drive. Thanks Jim for taking the time. I haven't seen so many old friends in years but why is everyone pointing at us and laughing? All of this pointing and laughing is kind of getting on my nerves Fred, lets get out of here. OK Dean as soon as these fools ahead of us park we are on our way. Hey Jim haven't you found that quarter yet? Hey Jim don't you want to see any of our old friends? You have been bent over looking for the dam quarter on the floor since we pulled in here and you are missing everything.---DAM Dean, I know what Jim is up to, remember this is what you did to Jim when he was riding in the middle between me and you that April fools day some 45 years ago or so. Remember, you bent down and said you lost a quarter on the floor, but you knew no one outside could see you while you were bent over looking on the floor and everyone else thought we were a couple of sweeties because we were sitting so close together--- don't you remember-- this is how Jim got stuck with the nick name sexybabyjamie? HA HA HA I told you guys Id get even some day. Heck Dean I thought Jim got even when you agreed to pick up a tabolican rod he needed for a flathead Ford engine. Yeah, well it took you a a few seconds to realize there is no such thing as a windshield wiper blade sharpener remember. No I don't remember that at all. Antics like this were common. At a Halloween party Dean had thrown he decided to play a trick on his girlfriend. He took off all his clothes put on a trench coat and the ugliest face mask I have ever seen ran out the back door and went to the front door and knocked. When his girlfriend opened the door Dean opened his trench coat and said "trick or treat" That was the the funnest thing I had ever seen in my life.
As Paul Harvey says "now you know the rest of the story"
It is now 1960 and a lot of cool things have happened since the high performance trend pulled that hole shot off the line back in 1955. This trend, like the mighty mouse motor that launched it was made of sterner stuff, and had a lot more breath than we realized. It was picking up speed at an ever increasing rate making a power shift into second gear I would say in 1958. Not only was the small block much better, other car markers began to take notice. Even though Pontiac's V-8 came out in 55 with a dual quad option few people noticed. The Pontiac line up just was not as affordable to the segmit that was looking for good performance. This plagued Pontiac say untill 1964 with the introduction of the GTO. It was not till 57 that the strong Pontiac engine began to make it's presence felt. Chrysler took notice and offered engines with dual quads in there lower priced line of cars in 57. In 1960 Mopar introduced the dual quad long cross ram option with magazine editors giving it rave reviews less than a thousand were sold. Lets just say people , including me, did not care for the styling. It's strange but now I find some of the kind of apealing. In 57 "the forward look" was in Mopar advertising. I don't think this is what they had in mind. Both Chevy and Ford came out with bigger blocks in 58. Regular day to day passenger cars now performed better than the first small blocks did in 55. In 1960 Ford was back in the game with a 360 HP 352 engine that was a threat to Chevy and Pontiac.
One morning I was on my way to school and my 53 Ford quit. I was lucky I was able to coast into a service station. One of the attendants agreed to take me to school and led me to a gorgeous 59 Chev Impala. I was quick to notice the 2.5 inch exhaust pipes sticking out the back of the car. I asked if it was a 320 or a 335. What makes you think it is either he asked. The big exhaust pipes, come on pop the hood will you? I had now just looked at the first W motor in my life and now I was going to get a ride in one-- one that was a 335. When it came to life I listened to the best sounding engine I have ever heard. When he pulled out of the station he nailed it, running the raging beast up to 60 in 1st gear in what seemed to be the blink of an eye. We were in town so he went to straight from 1st to 3rd gear. That was it. Talk about mixed emotions. It had been three years since that ride in the 57. This was only the second time I had been in a real hot car. From that time on I wanted a 348 powered Chevy.
I had always talked to dad about my love of Chevys and one day when I came home from school I saw a new white 60 Impala convertible parked in the driveway with 348 flags on the trunk. Dad had just bought it. My excitement was short lived when I got behind the wheel and realized that this beautiful 348 powered machine had a frigging Turboglide transmission. This car performed so bad that a 56 6 cylinder Chevy stick shift beat me---bad. Later I found that this car had some performance when run above 50 MPH. It didn't have much of a sensation of it though. This a plague common to todays ultra quick ultra smooth cars. This was another to have been around in the good old days.
In the summer of 61 Roger, my buddy that had the 53 Ford, bought a used Mercury 312 c.i. Y block engine. We rebuilt it and put in a mail order Wolverine cam. With the 4:11 gear and a Ford 3 speed transmission this car had one heck of a kick to it, however, it sounded worse than any car running a hot cam I had ever heard. Sitting on top of this engine was the strangest looking 4 barrel carb I had ever seen. No one else in town had ever made a swap like this. It was easy to tell. You could tell by the sound. Far different than any other car. Worse even than a 6 cyl. Chev equipped with a split manifold and loud mufflers. Old timers know what I mean. Making matters worse was the horrible, howling, discordent sound the Ford transmission made going through 1st and 2nd gear. I even hated the way the starter sounded, even hated to hear the doors close, even the windshield wiper motor sounded funny. To make matters worse I still had my 53 Ford convertible. My favorite sound, to this day, was the sound of solid lifter clatter, mixed with the sweet harmonic buzz coming from a Chevy standard shift while going through 1st and 2nd. The earlier T-10's, prior to the 61's, sounded even better. It has been years since I have heard that sound. In those days it was common.
In spite of the way it sounded, however, Roger's Ford surprised many Chevy's at the lite. Most of them had a 220 HP motor,many with a solid lifter cam added at some point. About every one that bought a 55 through 57 Chev would go to the a local dealer, and I think for around $35/$40 bucks, you could buy the cam, lifters, and gaskets. As time went on I just had to see Roger suffer one defeat. As good of a friend as he was, his head was getting just a little, I mean, way to big to big for a Chevy fan to accept. Roger said a defeat would never happen with a small block Chevy unless one was bored and stroked. He was partially correct. A grudge race was finally arranged with one of Rogers former victims who suffered several defeats from Roger. This man had had enough. He was on a mission. He pulled the engine had it bored an eighth over making it a 301 and bought a set of what we called fuelie heads. The ones with the slightly bigger 2.02 intake valves. This car already had a Duntov cam. Roger boldly proclaimed it would take more than that to get the job done. The 18 additional cubic inches and slightly bigger intake valves made a HUGE difference. It made the little Chevy sound like a siren and Roger got beat so bad I had to ask him how it felt to be a drum. What do you mean, he asked me. I said drums get beat on you got beat so bad don't you feel like a drum? He made me get out of his car and while pealing out tore out his clutch. Because of this I had mixed emotions "joy and happiness". I giggled for the next couple of weeks. Roger finally experienced what every hot rodder, sooner or later, experiences. It is what I call the, well let me substitute "crap" for the appropriate word. I mean you can be on a losing team, lose a pool game, which is pretty bad, lose a little money in a poker game, even have your girlfriend go out with your best friend but nothing can compare to the "crap" feeling of losing a hotly contended grudge race. On the other hand no other type of victory is sweater. By the way a trivia question for you. What was the mans name who invented the flush toilet? His name was John Crapper. No crap, I am not crapping you one bit.
One day Me and a friend were walking down the street when my friends cousin stopped and offered us a ride in a 62 Chev convertible. It had the 409 emblems on the fender. This was the ultimate experience. The thing hit 100 in 3rd gear and fishtailed when power shifted into 4th. gear. OK folks it's been a long hectic day and I have to pee so bad I can taste it. So Time for another wee wee break. I'll pick you guys up soon.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim.................I can tell you are older.......and probaby have an enlarged prostrate!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll Or you're drinking too much while typing!!!!

Your DVD's were mailed yesterday. Maybe you'll have them for this weekend.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Very cool!! That 312 would not have been the 312 interceptor motor with the carb that had the huge barrels hanging over the venturies was it?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good read!

Jim:

Thanks for articulating the memories via the Forum, I'm enjoying the reading :).

Made me think back to the first time I saw a 348 car (1961 Impala with tripower) around 1967 or so.

Cheers!
TomK