The Wife Says It Time To Build Another

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
ok i guess its time to build another car but i have a problem my 62 is done and no room to build another so if there is some one who is interested in my 62 contact me the wife says iam happier when i have a project in garage

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
iam been looking at 33 34-35 blue oval i love 1961 caddy coupe or convertable
a custom trike has also crossed my mind this is the 2nd 62 i build so need a change i love building them more then when they are finished
how is your project coming??????

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Make sure you keep us updated with your project.

I should be able to paint it next week if the weather acts right. Once it's painted, it should only be a couple more days before it is back on the road!! :beerbang:beerbang

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Gabe,
65-69 Corvair. Has independent rear suspension .like Corvette. Replace rear center section with stronger Corvette unit, cut out front trunk floor and fab engine mounts, tranny, and radiator, replace floor with junkyard cutout with driveshaft tunnel, fab diveshaft. You end up with neat body style with FRONT mounted V-8 engine, as it should be, and a lot of potential. Alternative to chassis mods is to mount body on S-10 chassis with hardware upgrades.
I've been wanting to do this for years, but haven't gotten to it yet.:deal

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Better yet, CROWN mid-engine conversion!

Gabe,
65-69 Corvair. Has independent rear suspension .like Corvette. Replace rear center section with stronger Corvette unit, cut out front trunk floor and fab engine mounts, tranny, and radiator, replace floor with junkyard cutout with driveshaft tunnel, fab diveshaft. You end up with neat body style with FRONT mounted V-8 engine, as it should be, and a lot of potential. Alternative to chassis mods is to mount body on S-10 chassis with hardware upgrades.

Better yet, CROWN engineering mid-engine conversion!
Not available new, but if you search hard enough you might find a NOS or used unit.
Another way to do this was to mount an Olds Toronado where the back seat used to be. :eek:

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Gabe,

I'm shooting from the hip here...but...wasn't Ralph Nader the U.S. Consumer Advocate in the mid-sixties that was responsible for banning the Corvair from further production? I had to add that in order to lead into the following story.

There was a fella around here that had a modified corvair with raised suspension, straight front axle (chromed) with skinny little gasser wheels and tires up front, and large rims and big rubber on the rear wheels. The car was modified into a two seater with the front seats looking like they were quite close to the rear glass. The engine was up front. The owner told me it was a Buick but I can't recall the CID...but was in the 400's. This car sounded very nasty. It could pull the front end up easy and was very...very fast. This was a black car that had artistic lettering on the passenger and driver's door...which read......."NADER'S NIGHTMARE".

Ron

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Better yet, CROWN engineering mid-engine conversion!
Not available new, but if you search hard enough you might find a NOS or used unit.
Another way to do this was to mount an Olds Toronado where the back seat used to be. :eek:

What I don't ike about the Crown conversion or the Toronado is you loose the back seat and have all that engine and associated heat and noise behind you.... hit something solid and you'll be wearing that engine. I prefer having it out front to clear the way for me. The engine belongs in front. Besides, it's too easy to buy a Crown kit and install it....I would rather engineer it myself.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
iam been looking at 33 34-35 blue oval i love 1961 caddy coupe or convertible
a custom trike has also crossed my mind this is the 2nd 62 i build so need a change i love building them more then when they are finished
how is your project coming??????

I built a lot of street rods years ago when they were still readily available and probably one of my favorite bodies was a 35 roadster. If I could find one I would definitely start a street rod.

Bill

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ok i guess its time to build another car but i have a problem my 62 is done and no room to build another so if there is some one who is interested in my 62 contact me the wife says iam happier when i have a project in garage

Gab sounds to me like you need a BIGGER garage. Build an extention were all the finished project have a place to stay out of the weather:brow

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Yes, Ron. Ralph Nader was the guy.:doh He said they were unsafe. I always thought they were a great little car. :clap

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
"Advocate"? More like scam artist!

I'm shooting from the hip here...but...wasn't Ralph Nader the U.S. Consumer Advocate in the mid-sixties that was responsible for banning the Corvair from further production?

Ron

I owned several Corvairs, not long ago I nearly bought another.
They were some of the best cars Chevy ever made, particularly the second series.

Nader lied, he faked much of his "evidence".
The infamous video "proving" the Corvair had unstable handling was later proven to have been faked.
Cars that were claimed to be shown as unstable on corners at 30 mph were actually doing more like 50 mph!
Monkeying with tire pressure and a biased "test driver" can make any car look bad.
Even race cars get "unstable" when pushed too hard for the corner.

Nutso Nader tried to go after VW - Porsche, they just told him to pound sand and remained in production for several decades.
911 type Porsche are made to this day. :cool:

What really sunk GM's Corvair was getting caught having Nader tailed by detectives looking for "Dirt" to use against him. :eek:
That ended any chance for rational discussion, GM brass were "proven" liars and scoundrels, Nader was made an instant saintly victim of the evil GM empire.

It's damn shame, some of the prototype Corvairs and engines are marvels of engineering. :bow

I've personally had my hands on a Corvair engine with aircraft type one piece cylinders and heads, light plastic fan, and probably 250 HP normally aspirated. :cool:

GM always had a strange habit of coming up with innovative concepts, rushing them into production, then letting the consumer down while they improve the product over the next few years. :nono1:
V6 engine, 215 V8, Corvair, Pontiac OHC six, Fierro, Vega, diesel v8, and even the 409 (weak rods).
Typically they cancel the product just about the time it is perfected by their engineers and outside enthusiast (Z11 for example?), usually citing "escalating cost" (quality cost more). This was particularly true for the Corvair and Fierro. :cry

Bean counters don't like sports cars, or muscle cars, committees don't produce cars with style or personality.
It's no wonder to me that GM is dying, except for the Vette (and who can afford them now?) they gave up making interesting cars and have concentrated on four wheeled frigidaire appliances. :rolleyes:

In '59 they made some of the most outrageously styled cars of all time, and were not shy about horsepower.
1959 was one of their best sales years ever, and the cars are all highly sought after collectors items.
In 2009 their cars are boring in the extreme, and they are going bankrupt.
The bean counters and Fed. are in charge, "Green" Nader types have won, and we will soon be expected to drive Chinese made $@!# in place of interesting cars.

End of rant! :bang

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I fear that you are correct Richard:doh. And now that I'm just a little depressed:cry I'm going to go out and take my Chevy for a long fast blast and try to blow my blues away:cuss

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Richard, you are exactly right. I owned a 63 500 coupe and a 64 convertible and they were fun cars except for the leaking pushrod tubes (just like my airplane).
I just got home from the Super Chevy event in Tucson where I saw two nice V-8 powered 66 Corvairs. I'm even more convinced now that I want to do one but with the engine up front. I guess I can start looking for a nice body to convert.