Thermostat Question?

DENNISJR60

ON MY 348 SHOULD I GET A LOW TEMP, MEDIUM TEMP OR HIGH TEMP THERMOSTAT? IF IT MATTERS I LIVE IN LAS VEGAS.

THANKS.

bobs409

Administrator
I would start with a 180 and see how it goes. You don't want it to run too cool either. If you find that it runs too hot with this one, jump down to a 160. They're cheap enough so you can experiment.

My 409 tends to like the 180 stat. It runs anywhere from 170-195 or so even on a fairly hot day.

tatt2jim

run what your motor calls for by gm originaly , just think about it running a 160 stat will open at 160 and never cl ose ,thus the water never stays in the radiator long enough to get a chance to coll off,like it was designed to do. i know the parts house guys always say get the 160 it will work better , i have owned a rad shop that specializes in high performance radiators for 15 years , and from all the years the stock stat works best as long as the rest of your cooling system is in ok condition ....just my opinion

jim

DENNISJR60

I BOUGHT A 160 TODAY BUT HAVE NOT PUT IT IN YET. IF I PULL THE ONE THAT'S IN IT NOW OUT AND IT'S A 180 DO I PUT THE 160 IN IF THE ENGINE IS RUNNING HOT WITH THE 180?

tatt2jim

just cause its running hot doesnt mean its the thermostat, usually thermostats dont just go off calibration like that usually they either stick closed or stick open , has you cooling system been serviced lately? its possible you may have other problems, does it heat up gradually or sudden? driving or sitting?

jim

I

IgnitionMan

Old style non-permanent anti-freeze, as in back in the sixties, has one temp rating, new permanant type uses 10 deg/F HIGHER temps.

So....a 170 degree 'stat of say...1960, would use a 180 deg/F 'stat today.

Also, you want a Robertshaw pressure balanced theromstat, NOT a flat plate style Stant. Robertshaw is also sold as Mr. Gasket, from speed shops. Flat plate type 'stats can close at higher rpms from higher water volume flow pushing against the flat plate restriction. P/B ones use a barrel design, bypass around their closing plug, and don't have the water closing problems/issues the flat plate types do.