Third Light on '58 Impala?

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've read that the roof vent on a '58 Impala can be modified to be a third light. Has anyone actually done this? If so, how did you modifiy it?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I actually saw a 58 with this done 2 days ago. I was sitting at a diner where I go for lunch, when I saw it pulling out of the lot. I saw the light at the top, and smiled as this post was fairly new. I have no idea who owns the car. It was a black 58 Impala. I would think it will be around some more. If I see it again, I'll try to find out how it was done, and what he used to do it.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Like I said,,,,,,WHY????

Add,,,, ABS,,,,,, Air Bags,,,, computer controls,,,,, thurd brake lite,,,,

,,,,,WHY ????

JMO,,,,,dq

JokersBel

Banned
a touch of uniqueness, perhaps??? as to why.

they were added in 87 for safety issues, maybe it'll allow someone to see them before they're rearended?? maybe not. i dunno.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Third brake light.

I think a brake light in that location would be great! I saw one at a show in Oh. that was LED. It looked really good.;)

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Have to agree with DQ...........gulp (can't believe I said that)!!
I like them factory stock, the way they came from the showroom.

Neil W

Seon,

I may have our brake light done fairly soon (if my new lens material gets here quickly). I have stuck with the plan I told you about in the other post, but the plastic I have now, just isn't going to look good enough, so I am waiting for a new piece. If you would like, I can take some pics when it's done.

As for the "stock" factor, I think it's going to look great, and nobody will know it's there 'til you hit the brakes any way. And if other people don't like it, that's OK, It's all about what you want to do with your car, isn't it? My guess is that everbody on this site, is building their car, their way, and that's how it should be. So my thought is, go for it Seon, and let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Neil

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Neil, I'll look forward in getting your pics.
I've been doing some searching and ran across an LED brake light in JC Whitney for $16. It's 14"x3/4"x3/4". The roof vent is 15" wide so I'm thinking that that LED could be mounted behind the vent. I ordered one of those LED light and will check it out.

BTW I agree, once the LED is in, the vent will appear normal until the brake is applied ;) .

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,,so I`ll hold off on final judgement until you post a picture !! Heee heee

If the LED`s are going behind the vent and it looks stock,,,,,I might like it,,,,dq

59fins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have often thought of doing this with my 59' , seems like a lot of work however if a guy can pull it off I think it would be cool, once in a while when I pull up behind the s10 type Blazer, I think,,, That light would work behind the roof scallop.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought and just received an LED third light from JC Whitney. It's 14" long x 3/4 wide. The roof scallop is about 14-3/4 wide so this light fits. I was tinkering with it a little and inorder for this light to fit, I used a heat gun to "contour" it a little. It looks like it'll work. Now I'll make the sheet metal backing to enclose the light in the scallop. I'll post pics when I'm done. This Whitney LED cost $16.

BTW anyone know or have an extras roof scallop that they'll part with? Thought I'd ask ;)

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I bought and just received an LED third light from JC Whitney. It's 14" long x 3/4 wide. The roof scallop is about 14-3/4 wide so this light fits. I was tinkering with it a little and inorder for this light to fit, I used a heat gun to "contour" it a little. It looks like it'll work. Now I'll make the sheet metal backing to enclose the light in the scallop. I'll post pics when I'm done. This Whitney LED cost $16.

BTW anyone know or have an extras roof scallop that they'll part with? Thought I'd ask ;)

Hi Seon, how did the LED idea work out for you? Did you drill into the roof?