Third Member from Open to "P" Case Conversion

heddrik

Well Known Member
Wow! never seen either of those, just know they are rare and cheap, right? I bought gwagon's late 64 QB block a few weeks ago, my first and probably only 09. Always wanted one. This site and people on it are super.

Junky

Well Known Member
Please illuminate my ignorance on this issue. What is an open carrier? Pics plz. How does a posi differ? I thot it was just another gear for the other side . Never tore into one so any help is a good thing. My 62 SS was a 10 bolt 3.08 powerglide. Thank you gentlemen.

When you say "was", that begs the question, what happened to it? I am looking for a 3.08 for my wagon. That way, I will be able to get 11 MPG, instead of 10!

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I do have a 3.08 OPEN I just pulled out of my 64, drove 800 miles home, no issues at all, but its NOT a "P" Posi.

lennyjay

Well Known Member
I believe if you have a 3-serris (not the "P") case (open 3.08,3.36,3.55,3.70) you can install an after market posi, Auburn or Eaton, and you do not need to grind the inside of the case....they fit. The larger GM posi it will need to be ground. Tom on a Chevy talk link goes into great detail on which year cases are the strongest along with thick and thin ring and pinion gear sizes that will fit. I must have read it 5 times..........

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The case is just a marking to let you know it been Modified, factory or yourself. Nothing to do with Posi or not.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I believe if you have a 3-serris (not the "P") case (open 3.08,3.36,3.55,3.70) you can install an after market posi, Auburn or Eaton, and you do not need to grind the inside of the case....they fit. The larger GM posi it will need to be ground. Tom on a Chevy talk link goes into great detail on which year cases are the strongest along with thick and thin ring and pinion gear sizes that will fit. I must have read it 5 times..........
That's odd ,I must have been the only guy in the world that had to grind out my non posi case to install a posi unit. I went from 3:08 gears to 3:36 . :crazy:doh