This Freaken Car!

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So I took "Thelma" on a cruise yesterday for Christmas and she did pretty good. I had my wife and my daughter and even packed the dog "Molly" into the car with a bunch of room to spare. It has a bunch of torque for and old 2 peed car. It winds up pretty good at 50 mph so I think it has steep rear gears. I couldn't imagine it has steeper than 4.11's. Anyway it lags a bit when it shifts to second so I am thinking it might be the modulator or a modulator adjustment. It also has a weird noise kinda like blowing in the top of a beer bottle at one point while accelerating just off idle a bit but it goes away. It accelerates fine. The mixture needles are in a fair amount but that was the only way it would run good. Some tinkering is in order I think. The AC however is working well except the blower motor bearings may need a little lube or something as they growl if I turn it on high. It cycles good though on low. My wife wanted to sell this thing but now she calls her Thelma and wants to sell one of my trucks. She says we just have too many cars. I dunno as my 1970 4x4 shortbed has been in my possession for quite some time and my 1972 Blazer has been around since 1989. Well any input on Thelma would be helpful. It has a 16 lb radiator cap and I am pretty sure it should be a 13 lb? Oh and I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

Don’s right on the money, if you do have a 4:11 rear end gear.
My 62 runs all day at 70mph with my 700r4 trans at 2800rpm on the expressway with my 4:11.

Last edited:

tenxal

Well Known Member
I had a girlfriend like that Don.....:flag:flag:guitar:guitar:guitarShe wanted both.

'Ya gotta watch the eyes, man. :crazy Hope you're stayin' warm over there. :)

oS9W8onl.jpg

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
You guys are a riot! I am going to mix up some suds tomorrow morning because I am consuming some suds right now. Hopefully I will find this stupid leak! I am almost hoping it will be from the manifold at this point as I am looking for a reason the chuck the adapter and if I have the manifold off it would be great time to upgrade! I am pretty stoked about how it launches with that downshift though. My wife punched me in the arm for scaring her. I am doing some research at this point looking into the band adjustment. I rebuilt my 700r4 in my 1970 SWB p/u in 2000 and it has been very reliable. I let a 1986 350/700r4 for $400 slip through my fingers on CL last week. I could have got the motor running and got all my money back.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
Oh boy! That looks like some fun to get to! This adjustment may cure my "lag" between shifts? Any recommendations on adjustment?

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
Thank you! I just took it for a leisurely smooth cruise around the neighborhood for about an hour and the temp gauge stayed below the middle and the car ran fantastic with the A/C blowing fine. Got in the driveway and white smoke came billowing out of the driver side dual exhaust. Fantastic! Oh and joy! I found out why the garage smells like gas. While pondering why the smoke was billowing I notice fuel pouring from the loop vent that goes into the trunk then loops back down toward the floor. Freaken Car!

Last edited:

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
That could be. It has a locking cap recently replaced by my mother before she gave me the car. Ideas about the smoke? I have a somewhat sloped driveway. Maybe a bad valve seal sucked some oil on the grade?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That white smoke is possibly a ruptured diaphram for the trans.modulator.Valve seals are usually blue smoke on start up.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
So the modulator tested good with my vacuum tester to 25lbs and is holding. I pulled the plugs on the drivers side and the two middle 3&5 are cocoa brown. The two on the ends 1&7 are a little wet with what looks to be oil. There is no oil in the antifreeze and no water in the oil and appears to be no trans fluid in the modulator vacuum line. This all happened right when I idled up to the driveway from just plain putting around town and was about to put her in the garage.