Thompson 2014

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I sure hate to hear that it fizzled out, but I can really see how/why it happened. I believe that a good part of it is the National Convention taking place and all of us wanting to make it there.....along with some of us not being able to make it to both. Combine that with poor support from the track and it's an event killer. The other track near there who has invited everyone sure sounds like a nice place. Forgive me not remembering the name of it (since it's nowhere near me), but there is a current thread about it. Maybe you can get some of the guys together there one weekend soon at least to test the waters????

I sure hope that I have my car together in time for a spring 2015 get together in Chattanooga this year along with Martin, Don Jacks, and hopefully several more.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If they would have treated me/us a little better I would have the 409's there this year. The track manager just didn't seem to care. I wonder how he feels now? I heard there were people that came to the Gasser meet just for the 409's. I was the driving force behind this and I lost my drive!
I live 1/2 hour away and I didn't go this year because of how we got treated.. I know I don't race, but it just seemed like all they wanted was our money.. I know a lot of local people who would go just to see our cars... Race or show..
Rick

Topstrap

Well Known Member
We just got back a bit ago. Saw one red 62, no one around but ended up being a small block with a tunnel ram, nice looking car but notfa 409. Did see a 55 with 348 written on the front fender but never saw the hood up. Talked to quite a few others and after mentioning we mainly went to watch the 409 cars they also said they expected to see some there since it was said there would be a 409 showdown. Ended up just being more time trials instead.Oh well, maybe this fall will be better. Guess I'll have to find all the 409 cars at Louisville this year. Dennis

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think Thompson or someplace near by will be a go for next year, but this year, all roads lead to Great Bend Kansas! :deal
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/348-409-national-convention-no-2.24450/

We've always had a great time at Thompson and I'm sure we would have had a good sized group there again this year, but this year we're having a much bigger National event in Great Bend. If we had gotten behind a Thompson get together and a get together at Great Bend, I think it would have split the crowd. The long haul guys can't afford to go to two events.

I don't feel too bad about missing out on Thompson for this year because Great Bend is going to be terrific! :beer

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you guys are thinking about changing tracks make the race next year around Cincinnati or Columbus OH I will make the trip

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dennis........just come to Great Bend!!!! That's where ALL the 409 cars will be!! Looking forward to having the largest collection of 348 and 409 in the last 100 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yup That last sentence is nothing short of AWESOME!!!

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Would really like to join in the fun but we have already made plans again for the Street Rod Nationals. Hate to miss this once in a lifetime gathering of 348/409 cars but can't swing both trips in one year. Will really look forward to the next get together closer next year. If I get really busy might even have ours ready by then. Dennis

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hate to miss this once in a lifetime gathering of 348/409 cars but can't swing both trips in one year.

Dennis...not here to make you upset but............the Street Rod Nationals are a yearly event...we're not. You and your car will get MORE LOVE in Great Bend than anywhere else in the world!!!!! Promise!!!
OK...I'm done preaching now!!!!!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Dennis...not here to make you upset but............the Street Rod Nationals are a yearly event...we're not. You and your car will get MORE LOVE in Great Bend than anywhere else in the world!!!!! Promise!!!
OK...I'm done preaching now!!!!!

:yup Have to agree!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was thinking the same thing. Might be another 10 years before another National Convention. (I hope not.)

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dennis........just come to Great Bend!!!! That's where ALL the 409 cars will be!! Looking forward to having the largest collection of 348s and 409s in the last 100 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil is the only one that can remember back that far...

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It looks like the management at Thompson and John Shapiro, publisher of Crusin' Times Magazine, have their panties in a knot because we didn't support the event this year.

Thompson.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Actually that is what you try to do in business??
Correct, but you'd think they would try to be more accomodating to the people who are drawing crowds allowing them to make the money. I've never been to Thompson, but that is the things I've read on here. Hopefully the group can find a track that appreciates them (and the money they bring in) more.