Thompson 348/409 event 2020 Is on September 11-12th

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’ll take it!! Lol started off with 19.67 in the quarter first pass on Friday got it down to 14.21 before redlighting the semis
I’ll take it!! Lol started off with 19.67 in the quarter first pass on Friday got it down to 14.21 before redlighting the semis
I can't wait to hit the track again! I'll have that 700r4 in so I might be able to get a tire to come up lol! Might just break something too. LOL!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Had a great time with great people. Too bad about Tom's tranny and Mark's ring gear. Good job on the Grub Loreen.....:guitar

The Crusher was running OK on Friday. Had 3 time trials and 2 rounds in the Gambler's Race with .0xx reaction times and ran from 11:31 to 11:36 ET's Spun in the 3rd round of the Gambler(11:45) and went to trailer.

Saturday was a comedy of errors. Didn't run consistent at all and had bad reaction times all day. Engine died in time trials when I hit 3rd gear and had to get towed back...ground wire on coil broke. Then during one of the Elimination races I blew a belt, but won the race and limped back to the pits and put on the spare. Curly Joe red lighted in the semi finals to help me out. Then Lady Luck was on my side and got the win against Johnny. The cash I won paid for most of the Toll's out and back.....:applbut might need to take up a collection for the 8 fills of gas>>>>>>>>>>>>:laugh2:mock

Nice to see everybody again and looking forward to a NORMAL year in 2021......:burnout:burnout:burnoutSure missed Ray picking on me.....:hide seems to be ignoring me here.16337.jpeg

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great job Dave. Hopefully 2021 will be a better racing season & maybe I will be able to attend a few events. Let's see if we can get one a little closer to the west coast so some of us can make the trip. Take care & looking forward to 2021.
Two tracks just outside of Omaha. I-29 Dragway and Onawa. Both would be nearly smack dab in the middle between coasts.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

Yes Onawa, Iowa and Onawa Dragway is only 25 minutes south of me, right off I-29.
They have a air conditioned large building( 100 ft long) with concessions and bathrooms right south of the start line - you can see the start line from the building. They are a IHRA track.

I actually helped design the return road, staging area and building locations and found them a diamond grinder who does drag strips to make the 1990s paved airport runway very, very,very smooth.
The pits have a been an issue from the beginning one paved return road and grass parking on both sides and flat farm land that does not drain after heavy rains. They did not have funds to make the pits better. This is only the 2nd year of the track. The City of Onawa helped start the track with a sizeable amount of money (to promote the town). The City closed the airport and a local group converted it to the drag strip.

I was promised a lifetime pass for my donated Engineering. They have enough runway (and grinding of the paving) to run 1/4 mile but so far have stuck with 1/8 mile. Part of 1/8 mile I think was the additional cost of improvements (concrete barriers) and more insurance. They had a number of races this year. They now have lighting to run night races.

https://www.onawaracing.com/

I can find out if the pits will be improved by next year.

Paul

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Onawa, Iowa and Onawa Dragway is only 25 minutes south of me, right off I-29.
They have a air conditioned large building( 100 ft long) with concessions and bathrooms right south of the start line - you can see the start line from the building. They are a IHRA track.

I actually helped design the return road, staging area and building locations and found them a diamond grinder who does drag strips to make the 1990s paved airport runway very, very,very smooth.
The pits have a been an issue from the beginning one paved return road and grass parking on both sides and flat farm land that does not drain after heavy rains. They did not have funds to make the pits better. This is only the 2nd year of the track. The City of Onawa helped start the track with a sizeable amount of money (to promote the town). The City closed the airport and a local group converted it to the drag strip.

I was promised a lifetime pass for my donated Engineering. They have enough runway (and grinding of the paving) to run 1/4 mile but so far have stuck with 1/8 mile. Part of 1/8 mile I think was the additional cost of improvements (concrete barriers) and more insurance. They had a number of races this year. They now have lighting to run night races.

https://www.onawaracing.com/

I can find out if the pits will be improved by next year.

Paul
I follow them pretty close on line. They had thrown down more gravel this summer to help. I haven't heard how well that has improved things.