Those poor folks

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
in California, can't seem to get a break. Hi everyone. They go from drought conditions, to massive wild fires and now mud slides. Never knew about those mud slides until I saw a video on them this morning. Yikes. Those are some serious stuff. I saw a mud slide move down a street like a flowing stream. It was reported that it swept away an entire family. They certainly got my attention and respect. Have to keep those affected in our prayers, Carmine.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
We live about 100 miles east of there, we had 3.250"of rain yesterday.Our last big fire out this way was five or so years ago, our mountains stayed put. They had over twice that much on that coastal range, but it burned off last month. That fire was still smoldering in places when the rain hit yesterday in the early morning. Seems that scenario was the worst possible thing in the worst possible place. We had .12" of rain downtown LA since Oct.1, normal is 4 inches by the end of December. We're not caught up yet, but it went a long way. The mountains down here seem to get way more than the flatlands.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wish the best for all the people affected by the slides, it must really suck to lose your family, home, and pets. However we do not have a drought problem in California. We have a politically ignorant legislation problem. California is a cyclical state. Everyone knows that we go X number of years with low rain, then we get the rain. People complain all the time about water in California, the news, politicians, etc., yet for the last 40 years as the population grows, nobody wants to build water storage. Any kind of water storage, underground, dug into mountains with cement, dams, increasing the existing dams capacities, etc. They just want to complain.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Got it. The way they describe the condition on the news here in NY, I thought California was down to their last drop of water. Funny how they put their own spin on it. Anyway, I'm glad you have enough water. I do want to visit California sometime in the future and I would like to bathe while there. Had me a little concerned LOL, Carmine.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes that really sucks alright. I saw the mud slides here on the news yesterday and there are some very very lucky people to be alive.
Saw them pulling a 14 year old girl our after she was buried.
Thoughts go out to all.

Gav

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Very sad situation,

Jeff that reminds me of a movie and a song.
the movie, "China Town", the City planner gets drowned in the desert
the song, "It Never rains in Southern California",
"Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours"

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just saw some still shots of this mud slide on my home page. It looked like a war zone. One house, that wasn't ripped from it's foundation, had about 2' of mud inside; covered half of the fireplace. OMG, Carmine.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a friend who lived right in the middle of it. His house was spared the fire by a mere 100yds. He sent an email just before the storm with a copy of the evacuation order. Still haven't heard from him.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a friend who lived right in the middle of it. His house was spared the fire by a mere 100yds. He sent an email just before the storm with a copy of the evacuation order. Still haven't heard from him.
Hope he is ok. I see the death toll is at 17 and they still can't find some. Terrible. Tragic, Carmine.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The movie Chinatown made in 1974 was loosely scripted around one of LA's development pioneers, William Mulholland, whose biggest civil engineering project was the Owens Valley aqueduct built in the 1920's.That was very controversial in that time because of the ecological change to the Owens Valley that it created. His most infamous project was a big mistake known as the St Francis Dam. Wikipedia that one if you will. That area has never been developed afterward, some of the damage is still visible in San Francisquito Canyon,it was the largest civil engineering disaster in state history. Seems this place either has too much water, or too little. What water the infrastructure does get to store seems to keep getting diverted away from agriculture to the overpopulated population centers. If you travel north to south along the 5 or the 99 through the San Joaquin Valley or the Sacramento Valley,you see pointed anti leftist political comments posted on signs along the way. One reads,"Growing food is not a waste of water". I'd like to add,"Growing food to feed liberals IS."

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
One thing to add-despite the existence of creatures from this state sent to DC, such as feinstein,boxer,sanchez, watson,waters,and that ultimate piece of work pelosi, I don't want the world to think that the main crop grown in this state is foul,loud,dangerously leftist,obnoxious bossy women like this menagerie. Far more of our political class doesn't make headlines with out of control displays of lunacy.Seems that people who show up to work every day and just do their job and don't cause problems for others don't seem to make headlines.In fact, the left probably wants to keep them hidden.Don't think the state is really just an out of control post menopausal nightmare.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Ever notice in the news footage of the Montecito disaster the amount of very large boulders that came down that canyon into that neighborhood? It's hard to even imagine what that would have been like. Most floods do damage with fast high water and trees and logs, but fast rolling boulders would be unstoppable.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The liberal media won't tell you this,the facts got out on one of these fires, but the cause of most of these fires is homeless bums camping out illegally in the brush along freeways,in culverts,and in seasonally dry river beds. Quite often, during efforts to extinguish these fires,campsites are found, burnt up shopping carts,stoves,fire rings, cans and pots and pans are found.It seems that every time some clearance of these areas and enforcement is conducted,some liberal mayor or local politician makes a stink and they don't enforce the laws regarding these people. When they continually say,regarding a certain fire, the"cause is under investigation",you can just about bet that was the cause.What good is a government that won't do its job?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I saw those boulders mentioned in another thread. WOW. Not sure I'd rather be crushed by them or swept away by the mud. If it is as dry as some proclaim, I wonder why they wouldn't be proactive and do some control burning. Especially around settled areas, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That makes sense Phil. When the vegetation is gone, nothing to hold it back. Seeing that flowing river of mud was one thing, but the size of those boulders. You'd never have a chance.